Chapter 36 - Confessions (2)

Start from the beginning

The last ounce of strength in Kairi's legs were lost at the explanation of Liu Sect's attack. It all made sense. It was no wonder Zhang Sheng refused to explain the details of the attack. It explained why Liu Sect had cut off all connections with her. She was Wei Xing's only disciple.

Everything she thought she had known, they were all lies.

"I'm sorry if the truth hurt you in anyway. I couldn't stand seeing Zhang Sheng destroy another person," Wan Yi said. Kairi knew he was trying to let her know that he understood her pain but she was too far gone in misery. He got up from his seat and crouched down so that he was at eyelevel with her. He didn't say anything else as he patted her back softly. Kairi was in tears as she thought about the harsh reality. Mei Er was really dead. She had held onto hope all these years hoping to see her again. Who would've thought that this was the truth?

Wan Yi waited patiently until her tears dried up. Once her wails turned into sniffles, she finally was able to sort out her thoughts.

"What happened to my master after he attacked Liu Sect?" she asked.

"He disappeared after the attack. No one knows where he is. It's partially why Liu Sect has closed off its gates," he replied. Her mind started to churn out the future. She couldn't trust anyone. Feng Jiang and General Feng were Zhang Sheng's men. She couldn't go to them for anything. Yet, she couldn't trust Wan Yi either. She knew he was doing all this in order to get the throne.

"What do you plan to do now that you know the truth?" he asked.

"Give me some time to clear my thoughts," she said as she got up to her feet.

"I'll have someone escort you back," he told her. A man dressed in royal garb appeared out of nowhere and saluted her respectfully. "This is my personal guard, Yang Guo. You can trust him. If you ever need to get in touch with me, just find him."

Kairi didn't know how she should feel upon seeing that Wan Yi had let his personal guard escort her back. It seemed like he was going all out to buy her trust.

"Thank you, your highness," she said with a bow.

"I await good news," he replied back. The smile on his face seemed genuine then again so did the smiles on Zhang Sheng's face. She only nodded back at him and then quickly followed after Yang Guo.

It was early in the morning but the sun still had risen. Yang Guo and Kairi made it to the walls of Zhang Sheng's palace without any detections.

"This is as far as I can escort, Lady Xiao You," he said.

"Thank you." Kairi was just about to scale the wall when Yang Guo's voice stopped her.

"I hope you won't betray my master's trust. There are few people he can trust in this kingdom," Yang Guo said. Kairi eyed the guard. He seemed to be several years older than her but his eyes told her, he has experienced many things. For someone like him to be so loyal to the second prince, he couldn't be a bad person.

"I won't betray him as long as he doesn't betray me," she replied. Yang Guo didn't say anything to that. He simply saluted her and then disappeared into the darkness. Sighing heavily, she scaled the wall and snuck back into the room that Zhang Sheng had prepared for her. The room was quite dark as she fumbled around to light the candle. The flame erupted casting a light big enough for her to see. She was just about to change out of her clothes when a voice spoke, "So where did my troublesome girl sneak off to, tonight?"

The voice made Kairi spin so fast, her mind spun. Sitting at the edge of the bed was Zhang Sheng. He was hunched over with his elbows resting on his knees. The sharp look in his eyes told her, he was quite angry but he was smiling pleasantly at her. At this point, she knew that there was no point in lying. Zhang Sheng was extremely resourceful. The tea that sat at the night table was no longer steaming which meant he had been waiting in her room for quite some time. He had probably already found out where she had been and what she had done.