Chapter 31 - Rejection

Start from the beginning

"Fine. I wouldn't want to enter your palace as your enemy away," Kairi said. She dug into her pouch and pulled out a balm. "Here. Jie's balm will heal any scar. I mean to send it to A Hua but I'll let you use it first."

Zhang Sheng raised a perfectly arched brow as the corner of his lips stretched from ear to ear. A set of beautiful white teeth emerged and he asked, "You care for me this much?"

Kairi huffed at his teasing. He has already returned to his old self. She's learned quickly that the only way to stop the endless teasing was to switch topics.

"We aren't riding a carriage all the way to the palace, are we? If I remember correctly, it would take at least three days to reach the palace without a carriage," she said. Her words triggered something inside of Zhang Sheng because his entire demeanor suddenly changed. His smile faded and his face grew serious.

"We're heading for the white bird stable. It's at the other end of the city. We'll ride the white bird straight to the palace. I want to make it there before nightfall," Zhang Sheng replied. "I'm not going to repeat the same mistake twice."

So they weren't taking a carriage all the way to the palace after all. She was glad. If she spent another week in this carriage, she might just go crazy.

"Your little bird's aura won't be concealed for much longer. You need it to start cultivating that life crystal from its mother," he said suddenly. Kairi knew too well why he had mentioned the life crystal. Without knowing the true background of this little firebird, Zhang Sheng could tell that its strength would be massive when it reaches maturity. The aura of it alone was enough to lure anyone. If they were to learn of its phoenix bloodline, Kairi was sure that she'd be hunted down by everyone.

She pulled out the life crystal. It was twice as big as the little firebird and glowed a deep orange from within. The little firebird couldn't hold it so she simply placed it on top. Warmth wash over the both of them and the aura of the firebird faded. The little firebird went still as it slowly absorbed the energy from its mother's life crystal.

With the help of its mother's core power, the little firebird's aura was well hidden just a matter of minutes. It looked nothing more than an ordinary chick.

"Guess, I'll give you a name. What do you think about Xiao Huo?" Kairi asked. The little firebird chirped happily. It bounced up and landed on her shoulder with a thud. She laughed and nodded. "Xiao Huo, it is. We'll soon be entering a palace so you be on your best behavior, alright?"

Xiao Huo gave out a final chirp and sat quietly. She stroke the front of its chest with her forefinger. She had almost forgotten that Zhang Sheng was sitting across from her.

"You're still here," she thought out loud. She wanted to throw back a retort when she saw the look in his eyes. It was fierce, possessive, and dare she even think it, lustful. That question she had wanted to ask before suddenly surfaced again. What were the two of them? Master and disciple? Friends? Or were they simply no more than acquaintances because of several encounters? She's sensed it before. That burning passion in his eyes was no joke but his behavior says otherwise. Kairi didn't understand him.

The two of them locked eyes for a very long time searching for answers within each other, unable to say anything in return. One feared rejection while the other feared for her safety. If Kairi had kept her hairpin on, she would've heard Zhang Sheng's heartfelt confession but neither would find out each other's true feelings until much later. Zhang Sheng stopped teasing her and pulled out his book to read as if there was no one else but him inside the carriage. What was with the strange switch in behavior, she thought.

After a stifling half hour, the carriage pulled to a stop. Kairi stepped out of the carriage and the first thing she saw four giant white crowned birds. They stood at least ten meters tall. One of them stretched its wings and Kairi couldn't help but marvel at the sight. Its wingspan was almost the length of two football fields. She remembered reading about them. They were tamed and intelligent demon beast birds that can travel long distance at a fast speed.