Chapter 29 - The End of the Competition

Start from the beginning

Landing softly on her feet, Kairi faced Zhao Chen. Her master looked down at her proudly and got up to his feet.

"The winner of the final phase of the competition, my disciple, Xiao You," Zhao Chen beamed brightly. The crowd erupted into cheers, laughing all around but the happy atmosphere didn't last long. Er Niu's father, Nai He, jumped into the ring. He dropped to his knees to check on his son. He gasped and glared angrily at Kairi.

"You...! How dare you hurt my son to this state?" Nai He accused.

"Anyone who enters this competition knows there will be casualties," Kairi replied as she sheathed her sword.

"Yet you saved that mute who is an outsider!" Nai He snapped. Kairi didn't turn to look at You Sheng but she replied, "Master brought him into the village. He is now part of the village. There is no outsider here."

Nai He jumped to his feet and pointed a finger at her.

"All my son wanted was to marry you! I will not forgive you for what you have done to my son today!" he snapped. Kairi's eyes bulged at Nai He's speed. She had only managed to pull her sword out halfway but with a thrust of his hand, her sword snapped shut again. He thrust his palm forward hitting Kairi square in the shoulder. Blood spilled out from her mouth as she went flying back. She managed to regain herself in midair and landed back on her feet. The palm blast had blocked one of her meridian points and she was unable to gather her spiritual energy.

"Nai He! You dare to strike at my disciple?" Zhao Chen roared. Nai He ignored him and charged forward. Kairi didn't have energy left to use the speed maneuver. Nai He was too fast. She resigned to her fate. She was going to die, she thought. Just then, You Sheng jumped up from the corner where he had been resting. In a blink of an eye, Kairi was already in his arms and on the opposite side of the ring. Nai He's attack blew up the section where Kairi had been before.

Everyone gasped unable to grasp what had just happened. Zhao Chen jumped down from the platform and started fighting with Nai He. They exchanged one hundred moves within seconds but it had been Zhao Chen who was struck in the end. Blood spilled from his mouth as he looked up at Nai He.

"Nai He, you dare to go against me?" Zhao Chen seethed. Nai He laughed evilly as he paced back and forth staring Zhao Chen down.

"Zhao Chen, my naïve friend. Did you really think I would let go of such a golden opportunity? I purposely led you to a royal camp so that the Prince of Eden would kill you for me. Who would've thought that you were such an escape artist? Thankfully he destroyed half of your cultivation or we wouldn't have this day!" Nai He laughed. Kairi's horror mirrored her master. So this was the real reason why Zhao Chen was so insistent on her marrying someone strong. It was because he had already lost half of his cultivation.

"Traitor!" Zhao Chen roared. He rushed forward with an attack but Nai He easily dodged it. Before Zhao Chen could throw in another attack, Nai He thrust his palm forward. Zhao Chen was struck heavily in the chest and he slammed straight into the ground. Yi Rue, who had been in the crowd, let out a shriek of horror. She pushed her way through the crowd and jumped into the ring.

"Zhao Chen!" she cried as she pulled him into her arms. He was motionless and blood seeped from everywhere on his face.

"Master!" Kairi cried as she struggled to get out of You Sheng's arms. You Sheng placed her back on her feet and she struggled over to Yi Rue and Zhao Chen. Nai He laughed at the three of them and shouted, "From now on I'm the leader of this village and as for you!" Nai He pointed a finger to Kairi. "I'll destroy your martial arts and make you marry my son. That will be a worse punishment than dying!"