Chapter 21 - The Seal (ll)

Magsimula sa umpisa

"That little girl, Xiao You... We had found her barely alive in the mountains. We knew she wouldn't survive through the night but suddenly she woke up the next day without injuries and with a very strong core. Mei Er had explained that the little girl's soul was dying but it if hadn't been for the second soul who had taken over her body, the little girl's soul would have withered away and the little girl would have died. The second soul is the one who everyone calls Xiao You but Mei Er calls her Kairi."

"Kairi?"

"Mei Er said that Kairi was a wandering spirit who had entered the little girl's body by accident. She was a strange girl and very bright for her age. She wasn't like any of the kids in the village. In fact she spent more time reading and learning than she did playing. When she was only eleven, she was already escorting Wei Xing on hunting trips. I didn't think much of it when I saw that her cultivation level had been growing at an intense rate. It wasn't until last year when we realized that the first soul, Xiao You was still alive. Kairi's soul had strengthen Xiao You's soul and now both souls are fighting to take control. As you know, only one soul can occupy a body," Grandmaster Liu was troubled when he recalled the time he placed the seal on Kairi.

"And so you placed the seal on Kairi to seal away the first soul?" Zhang Sheng asked.

"This old man is really selfish. If you came to ask to lift the seal, I cannot," he said.

"Is there any other way?"

"Once the seal is placed, it is almost impossible to remove it."

"But there is a way, isn't there?" Zhang Sheng asked. Grandmaster Liu sighed and took a sip of his tea as if he was unwilling to tell Zhang Sheng.

"The only way to remove the seal is kill her."

Zhang Sheng wanted to speak up but there was suddenly an uproar.

"Grandmaster! There is an attack at the east gate!" a disciple cried as he came running into the courtyard.

"What?!"

By the time Kairi had awoken, it was already evening. Feng Jiang was sitting by the table drinking tea like always.

"Jiang Ge?" she called out. Feng Jiang set his cup down and rushed to her side like a doting father.

"How are you feeling? Does it hurt anywhere?" he asked. She ignored his questions.

"Is Zhang Sheng back yet?" she asked. Feng Jiang pouted and looked away as if what she had asked had been the most offense thing she's asked yet.

"Ever since Prince Zhang Sheng arrived, Xiao Xiao doesn't think about this Gege," he whined. Kairi rolled her eyes. She wanted to drop kick him. Grabbing his arm for support, she pulled herself up into a sitting position. Her body felt weak with no energy. It made her feel extremely vulnerable.

"Jiang Ge, please. Can you not do this right now? I honestly don't have the strength to deal with you," she said and rubbed the temple of her forehead for emphasis. Feng Jiang pursed his lips but didn't complain.

"Prince Zhang Sheng isn't back yet. Are you hungry or thirsty? Gege will have the cooks make you something."

Knowing that she couldn't do much but wait, she nodded in reply. He smiled in delight at her. For once she wasn't she talking back to him. He took off in a hurry to find the cooks leaving her alone in the room. Kairi scanned the room she had slept in. It must belong to Feng Jiang. She decided to head back to her living quarters. It was probably better to rest there than stay in here and inconvenience others. She had just gotten out bed when the doors burst open. Feng Jiu stormed in crying, "Jiang Gege, I cannot tolerate this! I won't absolve my engagement with Prince Zhang Sheng! You're a general of his army. You must say something on my behalf!"

Feng Jiu came to a stop when she saw Kairi.

"What are you doing in Jiang Gege's room?" she snapped. Kairi sighed and rubbed her temples again. The Feng siblings really were a nuisance to her. One got on her nerves and the other just pissed her off to no end.

"Second Sister, I don't want to waste my breath on you. Please leave before I get angry," Kairi said without preamble.

"Ha! Don't think I don't know what you're doing! You knew that Prince Zhang Sheng had cancelled your betrothal so you purposely tried to get his attention by pretending to be weak! Wait until I tell Prince Zhang Sheng the truth!" she exclaimed.

Kairi didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for Feng Jiu. As much as she disliked Madam Feng, she had to give Madam Feng a little bit of respect. The woman was extremely smart and cunning. If Kairi wasn't such a fast talker, she'd end up in Madam Feng's palms and dead in the middle of nowhere. For Madam Feng to have such a naïve and dumb daughter, it really was quite laughable. It's no wonder that Madam Feng is doing all she could to help Feng Jiu nab Prince Zhang Sheng.

"Second Sister, if you have so much time spinning wild stories, why don't you spend more time expanding your knowledge and horizon? Maybe Prince Zhang Sheng will take a second glimpse at you," Kairi said. She laughed right in her face before brushing past her.

"Xiao You!" screamed Feng Jiu. Kairi had easily pissed her off again. Even though she had no more energy, her reflexes were still spot on. Kairi managed to dodge Feng Jiu's tackle in time. Feng Jiu, who had no skills other than insulting others, lost her balance and tumbled right out the door. Kairi was just about to laugh at her when she saw Madam Feng from around the corner. Seeing her daughter in such an embarrassing prostrated state, her eyes glided over Kairi sharply but she didn't lose her cool.

"Jiu Er, why must you insist on taking actions all the time? Why waste effort when you can pay someone else to do the dirty work?" Madam Feng asked calmly. She helped her daughter up in a graceful manner. It was people like Madam Feng who made Kairi anxious. She never knew when Madam Feng was going to attack.

"Did Stepmother also come to see Xiao You?" Kairi asked politely. Madam Feng looked her up and down. Her eyes flashed a hint of surprise and she smiled. Kairi instantly felt a chill go down her spine. The smile that Madam Feng sent her, made her feel like a lamb that had walked into a lion's trap. She ignored her question and turned to Feng Jiu.
"Jiu Er, your sister is quite ill. Come join Mother for some tea so your sister can rest," Madam Feng said sweetly. Feng Jiu gawked at her mother but she quickly calmed down as if she had read her mother's mind. The both of them turned their backs on Kairi and took off without another word.

"She's planning something..." Kairi thought as she stared at the mother and daughter duo.

Feng Jiang came back with food but he didn't look too happy.

"Xiao Xiao, Gege has some bad news. A soldier came by earlier today and said that Gege has to return to the border," he said sadly. He patted Kairi's head and sighed heavily. "Don't cry when Gege is gone, okay? Gege will return as soon as he can."

Kairi couldn't be more than happy. The nuisance was finally leaving, but that meant that she had to be on her guard again. So that was the reason why Madam Feng looked so happy. All the ones who protected her were going to be gone. Who knows when Zhang Sheng would return and General Feng won't be returning until who knows when. With Feng Jiang also leaving, there wasn't going to be anyone else who would jump to her rescue. Worse comes to worse, she still had her sword, she thought and ate quietly. Feng Jiang took her silence as being sad and wrapped his arms tightly around her.

"Ah! Gege doesn't want to leave! How could Gege leave his adorable Xiao Xiao behind?" he cried. Kairi quickly changed her mind. She rather take on assassins sent by Madam Feng than deal with Feng Jiang.