The Third One Pt. 18

Gyro's POV

I'm getting paid for this, right? I mean, helping a child is one thing. Going against my own boss is another thing. But I love the challenge this kid through at me, and the money just makes it twenty times better.

Plus, with designs already made for this rocket, it'll be a piece of cake to make.

The child has got some guts, I have to say that. Who would want to launch himself into space just to see if his mother was really alive or not? A crazy child, that's who. And I'm excited to watch it unfold!

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. Right before I was going to pick it up, I felt the kid grab my hand.

"If anyone is asking where I am, say you don't know. Or the challenge is off." Really? This kid doesn't even want anyone to know? So I can't even brag? I knew Scrooge wouldn't approve of it either way, but this made it much harder to do.

I picked up the phone

"Gyro! Have you seen Dewey?" Scrooge's voice blasted through the phone. It seemed full of panic, so I'm guessing this kid just ran away for no reason. Ok, ok. I got this. Just play dumb.

"Who?" Not that dumb! I've met Dewey before, and I've called him by his name! Scrooge will definitely see through my lies!

"The blue nephew of mine! Has the flowing hair, blue shirt, and normally is much louder than the other two." Scrooge described Dewey really well, if I do say so myself. But how did he not see through my lies? He was Scrooge McDuck, he should know better! This definitely takes down my respect for him a little. Well, not really.

"Oh... Dewey, yea I haven't seen him. Why? Is he missing?" Yes, that is much better. Dewey is looking at me, and gave a little nod with his head. Approval, I guess.

"Yea, he disappeared with Magica about a day ago." Disappeared? But he was right here. I looked confusedly over at him, and he just shrugged. That is going to be a question for him later, but I need to stay in character right now. 

"Really? Well, I will keep an eye out for him. Do you need anything else, sir?" Keep it casual... yes. That will make him think everything is totally fine. Great acting skills Gyro!

"No, all I ask is that if you see anything suspicious, report it right back to me." Luckily for me, I wouldn't have to report anything. 

"Yes sir. Goodbye." I hung up, and sighed, "That was the most stressful thing I have ever done. But before I continue with this project, you need to tell me why everyone is looking for you. And why they think you went with Magica." Dewey glanced down at the ground. He sighed.

"Fine," He groaned, "But its not some simple 'I was running away because they yelled at me' situation." He took a breath. Why was this hard for him to spit out? His life couldn't be that miserable, being the nephew of Scrooge McDuck.

"Ok, well... I had a dream... or nightmare depending on how you see it. Huey, Louie, and Webby were screaming at me for being... an attention hog. I've always wanted attention, but I never really got it. I don't think I'm being an attention hog, but I don't know what my friends and family thinks! It's frustrating and hurts me... I didn't want to stay if that is what people actually thought!" Wow. That kid had a lot of guts to spill that to me. I mean, I forced him, but still... being the middle child is never easy.

"Woah... from your outside appearance, you didn't seem to be hurting that bad. Why can't you just tell them that you feel this way?" As soon as I said this, I felt stupid. I knew his answer immediately.

"Because then they will think I'm a stupid attention hog!" His yell wasn't filled with anger. It seemed sad... remorseful maybe.

"I know... I'm sorry for asking that question, it was stupid for me. But kid, you are not stupid. Heck, you found these plans and knew the one person who would do it for you! Think about one of your brothers... the green one for example. He would've thought of me to do it, but he would never get that far because he doesn't have the grit to actually keep searching. And the red one? He wouldn't have the bravery to launch himself into space, just to look for his mom! Kid, your one in a million, and that makes you amazing." As I said these words, Dewey looked up at me. He listened, which as I have learned, was a rare thing for this child. Maybe all the ignorance and disrespect was finally fading away.

"Thanks... Gyro. Your definitely right about one thing... looks can be deceiving." And with his final words, I got back to work. Seems like I definitely got my point through to him.

Huey's POV

Laying in bed is definitely frustrating, especially when I need to solve this mystery. If Dewey wasn't with Magica, then he had to be somewhere. At least Webby believed me, it would be hard to do it alone. Also, as we learned from the spear of selene, Webby was a good detective. 

"Ok, I have no clue where Dewey could've disappeared." Well, Webby's words were SO encouraging. 

"No leads? No possible places? Nothing?" She had to have something! 

"Nothing, I have no clue where Dewey would have gone. Scrooge called everyone earlier, asking if anyone had seen him. I still didn't tell him about the dream you had, mostly because he could shut it down and call us daft." Dang. I mean, I'm disappointed we have nothing on Dewey, but the fact that we couldn't even have Scrooge help us? Even worse.

"Ok, did you listen to any of the calls? Pick up any weirdness or something?" Sure, I wasn't completely sure that Dewey had gone to someone we knew, but it was a possibility.

"I heard them all, but no one stuck out to me as particularly weird. So I guess we can start, when you get better, with asking all those people. I have a list of them." And this is why I love Webby! I-I mean not that way! N-no way! But she is really great to have a partner. Being on the opposing side of her really sucks.

"Okay, at least now we have a starting point." I smiled at her, and she nodded her head in agreement. Where ever Dewey was, we would find him.

(Finally! Part 18 is here! I know its been like a week since I last wrote anything, but I got a little writer block moment. Its back now! If you enjoyed this, please go check out my other story in the making "Growin' Up". It's only on part 2, but I will be updating every time I update this story. Thanks for reading!)