The Story of Them (Vincent)

I watched as his eyes rolled back, the last essence of life escaping him, his cold, dead fingers still held onto mine. Rigor Mortis set in and he was finally gone. A good friend of mine, Alex, placed a hand on my shoulder, providing me with warm sympathy. I gave a rueful smile and stood, from my kneeling position. "I know that you hate humans...but it means a lot that you came." Alex smiled appreciatively, and glanced towards the open window, the clouds outside rolling across the sky, making it a steel grey. "We should leave. Contact the maid and have authorities notified. It's going to rain soon." I nodded. "Yes."

Alex and I left the estate, hearing the banter of humans, all, gathered inside and outside his home. All clamoring over Master Williams death, and who would be left with his house and fortune. Truthfully, Alex and I were the next heirs to his land but, we didn't want it. All that money and luxury only brought misfortune and unhappiness, something we both don't need. We only took what was needed. The two of us climbed into a dark carriage, being led by two ebony mares and an old horseman, heading for the train station.

My head rested in my hand as I gazed silently out of our train's car window, deep in thought. "I do not see what you are so upset about, Vincent. He was just a human." Alex murmured, slipping his white gloves from his fingers. I gave him a wry smile and turned my head. "How can you say that, Alexander? He took care of us when we had no one left." He snorted and muttered underneath his breath. "All humans are the same. No matter the front they put up." I raised my eyebrow. "Is that so?"

When Alex and I were younger, believe it or not, we were often mistreated by humans...though me, probably more than him. At a young age, he was sold by his mother and father to live with Master Williams, his uncle, once they found him out to be...different. It may look as if that wouldn't bother him but, it did. He loved his mother and father, dearly, though he would never admit it. Ever since, he has resented humans. He always thought them as cowardly and foolish people. Allowing materialistic things and greed to govern their lives. "They should be ashamed." I remember hearing him snarl as he looked down into the streets to see, people fighting over money that's been left lying on the road. "Filthy savages!" he spat, spitting out the window and turning quick on his heel, cloak flowing behind him.

It was somewhat different for me. To start off, I never had a family to begin with. I belonged to this certain person, but it never lasted too long. I was always traded off to someone else before even a week was over. If I compare it to the books I've read or stories I've heard, I would say I was a child slave. Only a few were abusive. Others couldn't be bothered with me. I was only needed when the horses needed washing, floors needed sweeping or chores of that nature. I still have the burn scar from when I'd spilled a few drops of milk on an artesian tapestry. The main reason why I never stayed with one person for too long is because of the unusual events that would occur while I was there. Unexplainable occurrences. For instance, the sudden inflammation of drapes, the sudden blow out of candles, or levitation of objects. Many people thought I was an accursed child or the spawn of Satan, so I was easily given away.

Once, the stories and occurences became so monsterous, I was accused of being a witch or warlock and was sent to be burned at the stake....just like my sister.

The sound of the train whistle disturbed me from my thoughts and I lifted my head, only to see us halt at another train station to load and unload passengers. Alex was busy toying with a mechanical  pocket watch that he'd purchased last year. "Darn thing isn't working!" he jeered, shaking it and holding it up to his ear. I hid a grin and turned my head back to the window.

But Master Williams heard of my situation and sent for me, sending me to live with him and Alex on their estate in another country. I was still a young child, have not even seen my teen years yet when it happened. He was curious to see if there was actually someone else like Alexander in the world. When I had arrived, he was ecstatic to see me. He treated me as if I were close family and offered me my very own room to sleep in...though...Alex wasn't as welcoming. He stayed by Master Williams' side and refused to speak to me. He only stole peeks and glances from time to time. I was told he was shy and never made friends easily, that he would warm up to me soon enough, but...it was difficult. 

I guess I was a naturally friendly person. I never held grudges or acted hateful towards anyone, so I guess this made him suspicious. Alex never got too close. He reminded me of a stray animal when you would offer it food. It would ,at first, pretend it didn't see you and then carefully, gradually, make its way towards you, after that, it would follow you around forever.

That is exactly what happened. He caught me in the library practicing a 'reverse death' spell. I was studying a flower I would often fawn over. A bright blue chrysanthemum. It had died due to the cold weather and I was contemplating on what to do, when it occured to me to use magic to bring it back. I took a book that based itself on witchcraft from the bookshelf and worked from there. It didn't take long for me to harness the right mind set and energy to bring it back. It was like watching everything in rewind. Slowly, each petal that fell, lost color, broke, regained its hue and repaired itself, attaching themselves to the core of the flower and breathed life back into it.

I didn't know he was near until I heard a small noise come from him. A gasp. I beckoned for him and told him he could do the same if he just practiced. And so it began. The competition of the warlocks. Who was greater at wielding magic? Me, the novice. Or Alexander, the one who's been surrounded by magic his whole life?

I never really knew what business Master had with magic. He wasn't a magician, warlock, witch or whatever you want to call it, but he did have great knowledge of it. Though...he could never answer the question of 'why we were like the way we were.' He always told us, 'it was up to us to find out'....if that was even possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our coachman unloaded our luggage from the train and attached them to our  carriage. There were dark velvet curtains provided, shielding the riders from direct sunlight. The wheels were thin and light, making for a quick and quiet trip to our new home. I shifted my eyes to Alexander and raised an eyebrow. "Alexander...What is the meaning of all this?" He turned his head quickly, coughing into his fist. "Well, I figured if we were in this sort of environment then we might as well live as best we could...and besides, we wouldn't want to stick out anymore than we already do." he added, nodding at my soft green hair. I adjusted my top hat a little farther over my hair, as strands began to slip from it's braid. "I assume you are right."

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, there you go. First part of Vincent's story.