Ride Home

"Are you sure your gonna be okay Ben?" I ask the injured boy, feeling his body lean against mine as I hitched him a quick ride back to his house. Stanley tagged along with us instead of going with the gang, he said something about pedophiles and kidnapping little girls have been going crazy this year. it sounded more like an excuse, but I shrugged it off since it sounded like good ole Stan the Man.

"Y-Yea I'll be fine" he says,"thanks again Dakota"

"You can call me Koda if you want" I assure him," I don't really mind, everyone calls me whatever".

"Really?" He asks,"yes of course~" I laugh, "Lets see....I'll call you.... Benny".

"Benny...?" He questions, keeping his balance as I park the bike in his driveway."Yep" I say, popping the 'p',"but of course I can just call you Ben or-"

"No no" he interrupts me," I like it...I like it a lot"

"Well Benny it is then" I give him a smile," alright, do you mind letting me check the wound before you head inside?"

"No not at all" he says,lifting up his shirt to reveal the large bandage Eddie patched on him. I squat down,gently lifting the bandage with caution as to not mess up Eddie's hard work. It was oozing with yellowish-white puss, causing Stanley to gag and turn away.

"Stan can you hand me Eddie's fanny pack?" I ask him," he gave it to me so that I could re-clean the wound".

He just gives me a thumbs up, taking the small bag and placing it in my hand. I take out cotton swabs, hydrogen peroxide, and new bandages.

"This is gonna sting a little okay Benny?" I tell him," do you need to squeeze my hand?"

"P-probably..." he stutters, already terrified out of his mind. I reach my hand for him to take, and use the other one to pour the cleaning chemical on his stomach.

He winces,sharply clutching my hand tightly as the collided substances bubbled and foamed on his raw flesh.

"Don't worry Benny" I assure him gently," just a few more seconds and I'll wipe it off".

I grab the cotton swabs, gently wiping his belly clean and redoing his bandages." All set!" I beam, jumping to my feet and handing him the stuff.

"Re-clean the wound once in a while and you should be all set" I tell him,Stanley and I getting on our bikes," see ya Benny, don't forget we're going to the quarry tomorrow!"

"I won't" he says,giving us a wave," Thanks Koda!"

As we pedaled over towards my house, I notice Stanley's face scrunched up in disgust.

"It wasn't that bad Stan~" I chuckle," have a weak stomach~?"

"No" he says sternly," it's just...your more affectionate than most of the people in this town...I guess I'm still not used to that after all these years".

"Is that so...?" I question," Well I think your caring too, you always make sure everyone doesn't wander off from the group, keep our senses logical, you even ride home with me after school so that I won't...What was it?"

"Get taken by human traffickers or pedophiles" he says sternly

"Yea that~" I chuckle," jeez Stan you make it sound like I'll be snatched up as soon as you turn your back. You know I can defend myself right...?"

"I know~" he sighs," but what if your not strong enough, what if you get taken because of me!?!"

"Woah Stanley..." I stop my bike, looking at him with serious eyes.

"What's wrong...why are you acting like this...?"

"I-I..." he's at a loss for words,"I can't let IT take you Koda...not you".

"...w-whose IT...?" I ask him, growing more worried for him by the second.

"I-I don't know!" He says,"I-it's fucked up and terrifying, it took the shape of that creepy painting that gives me fucking nightmares!"

"The flute lady one...?" I ask

"Yes Koda!" He says," the fucking flute lady one!"

We just sit there in silence, causing Stanley to let out a shaky breath. " you made up the human trafficking thing didn't you...? You just didn't want IT to get us...".

"let's just get you home~" he sighs, pedaling without a single word.

I nod, steering up beside him.

As we parked to my house,I take out my house key and proceed to place it-....

"W-wait" I stutter,noticing the door open wide without me unlocking it.

The door was left open....

"H-holy shit~" Stan curses nervously

"Calm down Stan" I assure him,"she probably was in a rush, Anna!"

We search the house, wondering if or when she would be home by now.

She's gone...

"She's not here" I tell him,"hmm....eh she'll be back".

"D-does she usually leave the door unlocked and open...?" Stan questions nervously

"Well...no" I tell him,"but I'm not surprised, it was bound to happen someday, anyway you can go home Stan, I'll be fine until she gets home".

"Are you sure...?" He questions,"you don't have to stay here by yourself, you can come to my house if you'd like until she returns".

"No it's okay" I assure him, but that doesn't seem to help him.

"How about this" I say,placing my hands on his shoulders,"if anything goes wrong, I'll come straight to your house okay?"

"Alright" He says,"well...Bye Koda".

"Bye Stan"

As he closed the door behind him, I watched as he got on his bike and steered away. I always wondered why Stanley was so protective of everyone, maybe he was just so scared of the public. Either way, he will always be my best friend, of course Richie will always be my favorite out of the loser's club. That bug-eyed-boy needs some loving.

I check the kitchen, making sure the oven wasn't on and the fridge was closed all the way. The little things, I always check the little things. Finally, I made sure the door was locked, took a shower, and headed straight to bed.

As I got under the covers, my mind flashes back to Beverly Marsh.

Will she be there at the quarry tomorrow...?