The intimate moment between friends was interrupted by the ringing of Kongpob's cell phone. Phana picked it up and sighed.

"Kong. It's Achara. What do you want to do?"

Kongpob could only shake his head. She was the last person he needed to speak to right now. Phana understood and took the phone call for him.

"Hello Achara."

"Oh, Phana! Is Kong around? I was hoping to pop by and take him to lunch."

"Um, he's with a patient now. I was just borrowing his phone."

"Aw, that's okay. I'll just catch up with him later. Tell him I see him later."

"Achara, wait. I'm free, why don't we meet up instead. I know I'm a sorry substitute, but I'd love to see you."

Achara giggled and agreed.

"You are hilarious Phana. I'd love to have lunch with you."

"Great! Why don't you meet me at my mom's café? I'll text you the address. See you at around 12:30, okay? Bye!"

Kongpob lifted his head and thanked his friend.

"Thanks, Pha. I just can't today."

"Kong don't worry. Things will get sorted one way or another. I'm here for you whenever you want to talk. See you later buddy."

Achara entered the café and spotted Phana immediately. He was wearing a dark navy-blue suit with a jewel-toned pink tie. His hair was perfectly coifed, and his smile was radiant. His laughter was infectious as he spoke with an older woman. As she approached, he looked at her and stood to greet her.

"Achara! Good too see you. This is my mother, the owner and chef. Mom, this is Kongpob's fiancé, Achara."

"Good to meet you ma'am." Phana's mother embraced Achara and kissed her on the cheek.

"You are a lovely girl. Kongpob is lucky indeed. I'm sorry I missed you the other night when he was here."

Achara was dumbstruck. She looked at Phana and then back at his mother.

"Kong was here? When was this?"

"Um, Saturday evening. He was with his friend Arthit. They were about to have dinner when I saw him and asked about you. His friend seemed upset and left saying he hadn't realized how late it was."

"Really. Phana did you know about this?"

Phana looked at his mother, who simply shrugged. He turned his attention back to Achara and urged her to sit down.

"Mom, could you have someone bring us a couple of iced coffees and the special? Achara, you're going to love it. No one makes a better basil fried rice than my mother."

"Sure, son. I'll go put in the order." Phana's mother headed to the kitchen, leaving them alone.

"Phana? I'm waiting. I thought Kong was spending the weekend with you. Was that not true? And who is Arthit? Have I met him before?"

"Kong decided to attend the Orchid Expo instead. You know how he feels about those damn flowers. There's no way I was going to torture myself with that, so he went alone. Arthit is a former patient he ran into while he was there."

Achara relaxed and settled into her seat. Feeling the tension subside, Phana quickly changed the subject.

"So, how are the wedding plans coming? Not long now. Kongpob mentioned something about needing to pick out flowers."

"Yeah, we had a little tiff about it, but I decided to let it drop. He's busy and I was being selfish."

"Selfish? I don't think so. After all, you're both getting married. Why should the responsibility fall on you just because you're the woman? That's not fair. After all, Kong loves flowers. Why wouldn't he want to go?"

Achara stared at Phana, tears forming in her eyes.

"That's how I felt. He hasn't shown any interest at all in any of the preparations for the wedding. If something wrong with him Phana? Have I done something? Should I be worried?"

Phana placed his hand atop Achara's and wiped her tears with his thumb. Achara leaned into his palm and held her hand atop his. The warmth from his hand warmed her heart and she smiled at Phana. He smiled tenderly at her in return. There gazes met, neither of them averting their eyes.

A waiter appeared at the table with their drinks and their food, interrupting the moment.

Phana took his hands away from Achara and placed them in his lap. She reached for her iced coffee and took a sip.

"Um, how do you like the drink?" Phana was looking for something...anything to disrupt the awkward silence that had descended upon the table.

"It's quite good. I can't wait to taste the fried rice. It's my favorite dish, after all."

"Really? I didn't know that. Well then today is your lucky day. Like I said before, my mother's rice is the best in Bangkok. In fact, it's probably the best in Thailand, but then I could be a little biased."

They both laughed and enjoyed their food.