Chapter 1: XIX - XX

Desiderium.

The afternoon sunlight blinds my nearsighted eyes— my eyeglasses, hanging askew at the bridge of my nose. I sweat profusely as I run as fast as my legs can take me, as if I'm being continually chased by a rabid dog. At the back of my mind, I worry about how I'm perceived by the people surrounding me as I picture myself looking so hysterical. Even as adrenaline surge throughout my body, my mind still has time to spare to be preoccupied.

"Hurry up, you fucking idiot! Waste another second and they'll find us!" Al screams in distraught, drenching in sweat. He stands awkwardly at a doorstep, trying to catch his breath. I almost fall on my face on the cold and gray asphalt from running so carelessly, cars honking and strangers jeering behind me.

I'm sure we've lost them by now.

Perhaps.

"Where are they?" I ask, taking a step inside the doorway of a rundown apartment. I pause for a moment, letting my lungs breathe in all the air it was deprived of.

"They're in the second room on the second floor of this apartment.  Let's go," says Al.

The afternoon light fails to illuminate the room, so I feel around the walls in hopes of finding a light switch. My hand feels a protrusion— I press it and a chandelier lit up. I pat off the dust on my hand as I close the door behind me. As I follow Al up the stairs, restless and preoccupied, I find myself observing the place. Different paintings and portraits of unknown people hang on the sodden walls. "They seem quite ancient", I say to myself. No one is at the reception desk and the chandelier that hangs lopsidedly at the cobwebbed ceiling barely gives light to the room. I'm getting the notion that no one has been around in this place for years, despite my barely having time to observe. Buildings left in this kind of situation usually don't have electricity running in them anymore, but this particular building, though dimly lit, still has the electricity to spare to power up the chandelier, so I wasn't sure myself if this apartment is still under management or not.

"This apartment's been long abandoned, in case you're wondering," says Al. "No one has ever bothered to take this building down or whatever. This benefits us plenty, anyhow."

"How do you know that?" I ask.

"Nico said so himself. I don't know how he knows, though," Al replies.

I find it quite peculiar myself on how this abandoned building is still sitting among the buildings that are presently under management and are in perfect condition. This apartment stands 3 stories high but it's as if the apartment itself blends in the multitude, barely given any notice by passersby. I find it even more peculiar to how the others managed to find this particular building. Moreover, why do I even bother myself on such a trivial matter... or is it?

As I ease myself with a deep sigh, we pace on until we arrive at the room. "The room looks great. There's running water and electricity, though you probably know that already. The room is surprisingly fully furnished, and it even connects up to another room on the third floor," Al remarks, an obvious grin streaking across his face. It's as if he found himself some grand treasure.

"Color me surprised. Quite lucky for us despite our predicament, I suppose," I reply. I stand at the door of the room, gazing at it vacantly as if I'm looking beyond it. Why am I so preoccupied?

I knock on the door a couple of times. I hold its amber doorknob, about to turn it open. The door suddenly opens at the same moment, startling me. An embrace welcomes me as I enter the room, hugging me ever so tightly.

"Jun..." I whisper, smiling in relief.

"Hey..." she says. She nestles her head on my chest as she continues to hug me. She then looks up at me, her hazel eyes gleaming in bliss. She returns an adorable smile, as I hug her back. Just then, I feel a heavy burden being lifted off my chest, feeling as if I've finally come home. She's like an anchor, mooring me by her side.

Ominous Cloudsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें