This Won't End Well

|J A C O B|

"Sir, we're almost there," Ryan informed me, as he continued to tap away on his laptop to compose a report for the board members.

We were on our way to Ryo's Engineering, a significant automaker, for a discussion about a factory site the were considering selling, which I had a desire to purchase. With the location being a goldmine in the market and a bullseye to strike, the news of their intention to sell the site made a stir within the business community, exposing the fangs of every avaricious businessman to claim it before the other does.

Still, the factory was for sale for more than a week, and everyone who tried to seize the deal had their hopes dashed by Ryo Malta, the CEO of the company, as he refused all offers presented to him.

I decided to investigate the cause of his intransigence and unyielding attitude, and what I discovered was that he was looking to sell the site to a tech company, with a purpose of keeping the smallest share percentage for future profits and possibly a long term alliance.

"Sir, we've arrived."

And that's where I come into play.

Exiting the vehicle, my eyes swept the building where the car had stopped at the entrance. Ryan was standing on my right, Mark and the other two guards were on my left, watching me, waiting for a signal to move ahead because they couldn't unless I made the initiative.

Shifting my attention from the name of the building etched on the glass to the entrance, I moved a foot forward, giving them a silent cue to follow, and entered.

"Who else is trying to meet them today?" With a small inclination of my head in Ryan's direction, I inquired as he expanded his strides, then proceeded to respond.

"There are a number of businesses whose names are new in the field. After all the well-known figures had their luck run out, Mr.Malta seemed to entertain himself with new faces," Without a delay in his response, he handed me his glass tablet to affirm his words, widening his strides further to keep up.

I went through the names, and indeed, none of their titles rang a bell in my memory.

It's not that it worried me if I saw familiar names, but the lesser the better, considering it's a race with time, and whoever gets them to sign the deal and receive the factory, with forward intentions and a calculated plan, could be the next jackpot in the next five years.

Letting out a hum in satisfaction, I returned the pad back to him as we neared the elevator, to which Mark beat us to it as he pressed the hall call button.

We entered the metal box, and after a minute of passing through thirty-five floors, we reached the highest one, floor thrity-six, and proceeded to get down.

Ryan led the way, and we walked past defeated-looking men.

I reached the meeting room, and before Ryan could open the door, I heard a laughter from the inside followed by a giggle, all of which were tattooed on several occasions in the memory lane.

Pushing the door open with force, I was met with the sight of James laughing his lungs out and the sound of his aggravating chackles piercing the walls to fill the entire lobby of the floor. All who were seated roared with laughter as glasses swung around, clinging constantly all over the hall, and congratulations to Ryo Malta, who chuckled and nodded confidently to his men; however, his eyes and smiles were directed to the only woman present, who stood in the middle as she was the center of attention of all men.

Jessica...

"Ryan..." I clenched my fist, feeling the air that made it to my lungs getting scorching hot once it left my chest, which turned into a furnace of rage.