Keeping Her Safe

"Hermione, I'm scared for your safety. If the Dark Lord finds out about our relationship he'll for sure send someone to kill you."

"Draco, I don't want to leave you."

"I can't lose you, Hermione."

"I can't lose you either, Draco. Please, I promise, no one will find out."

"I love you, Hermione."

"I love you too, Draco. I-I need to tell you something-"

Screams erupt from outside the ROR where the couple was taking. Hermione looks worriedly at Draco.

"What's going on??" They rush outside. Death eaters filled the castle as kids and professors run around with their wands. Draco pales and he and Hermione split ways.

***

In her haste to leave with Harry and Ron to find horcruxes, Hermione forgot to tell Draco what she needed to tell him. She would have to carry her secret on her own.

***

A silver otter patronus swims into Dracos room. He stands up from his study, slightly shaking.

"Her-Hermione?"

The otter opens its mouth and Draco quickly casts a silencing spell around his room.

"Draco, I'm safe, but I can't say where I am. I miss you, and I love you. Please, stay safe. I hope we can both get out of this war safe and sound because I need to tell you something. I love you."

Tears well up in Dracos eyes and he falls to his knees infront of the patronus. The otter nudges Dracos damp cheeks and Draco can almost feel Hermiones warmth before the otter disappears.

Draco grips his blonde hair and sobs into his hands. Hermione. He stands up with his wand in his shaking hands.

"Ex-expecto patronum." His wand sputters, but nothing.

"Ex-pecto pa-patronum!" Nothing.

"E-e-" He falls onto his knees crying.

"Master Draco? Is everything alright?" A house elf asks. Draco throws his wand at the door.

"Go away! And leave me alone!" He yells. He hears the house elf scurry away. He gasps and feels another sob bubble up in his chest and he cries. Hermione.

***

"Hermione?" Her head bops up from where she was resting outside the tent.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I fall asleep?" She asks, stretching her arms. Harry looks at her with worried green eyes.

"Hermione? Are you alright? You've been getting more and more tired every day."

"I'm fine, Harry, I think that all the worry of finding the horcruxes and staying safe is just taking a toll on me."

"Okay. Well, it's time for my shift, so go inside and get some rest. Before you fall asleep on shift again." Harry grins at her teasingly. Hermione smiles gratefully.

"Thanks, but I think I'm gonna take a walk." Hermione says.

Harry looks at her worriedly, "Are you sure that's safe?" Hermione nods and pats her wand pocket.

"I'll be fine, I promise. If I'm not back in half an hour, look for me."

Hermione walks into the forest and sighs. She reaches into a hidden pocket on the inside of her jacket. She pulls out a silver and green scarf and holds it to her nose. She inhales Dracos scent; apples, mint, and, she smirks, a hint of ferret.

Something salty wets her lips and her tongue comes out to lick them away. She needed him right now. She couldn't wait for this damned war to be over. She needed him.

Her patronus leaves her wand, headed towards her love.

A few minutes later, Draco Malfoy apparates at her side, slightly out of breath.

"You came." Hermione remarks quietly, surprised.

Draco smiles, sadness in his eyes, "Of course I came. I love you, Hermione, I'll always come."

The moment his lips reach hers is magical. The moment his arms reach her waist is loving. The moment their tears reach the floor is relieving. This moment is unbelievable, both of them not expecting to see each other.

Hermione pulls backs and rests her forehead against his. Listening to his breath leaving his mouth. Listening to his pounding heart against hers. Listening to his being alive, being here. With her.

"I need to tell you something, Draco, before you leave."

***

"Harry, Ron, we need to leave."

"What's wrong?? What happened??" Harry asks as Hermione walks into the tent.

"I saw something suspicious on my walk. A shadow. I don't know who it was, but I think it's safer if we leave." Hermione answers.

Ron and Harry don't argue. They just pack up the tent and they leave.

***

It was only a few days when they were captured. Draco had warned her about it. It was only a matter of time.

***

"Draco! Come down here now!" Lucius calls up the stairs. Dracos shaking as he walks down the stairs. He recognizes the trio in an instant. He locks eyes with Hermione. The secret she told him hangs in the air between their gaze.

"Hermione, I-"

"It's alright. I didn't expect you to understand anyways. You can leave now if you want." Hermione says, not waiting for his answer, already expecting it.

"No, Hermione, I love you and you know it." He tugs her into his arms and presses his lips into her forehead. "I love you, no matter what. And I'm gonna help you through this."

"You're not just doing this out of obligation, right? Just because I'm your girlfriend?"

"Hell no. Sorry, I'm just a bit shocked but I'm ecstatic, Hermione! I-I can't belive this." Draco exclaims, a genuine grin filling his face. Hermione feels the grin transfer onto her face.

But then the grin falls, "This is going to be dangerous, what with the war and everything. If Voldemort finds out-"

"He won't. And I promise I'll try my best to keep you safe." He leans down and places his hand on her stomach.

"To keep both of you safe."

Ok, I realize how long its been since I've written, I've had writers block but I love this idea. Also, I just started high school and its a lot more work than middle school was so that's another thing. I love you guys and requests are always open. I am doing a part two of this one though.