Chapter Twenty One

Warnings: Angst

Word Count: 2027

Author's Note: All I have to say is that this series absolutely flew by. I hope you enjoy the chapter :)

*     *     *

Tyler: Officially out of Columbus

You read the text, but decided not to answer, at least for now. The message was simple, but sent a pang of sadness through your chest nonetheless. He was officially on tour and each passing minute would only put more distance between the two of you.

You tried not to think about it too much.

"Carter!" you called as you walked out of your room.

"What?" he answered, matching your volume level.

From the sounds of it, he was in his room. That shouldn't have come as a surprise, now that you thought about it. You backtracked and grabbed your phone from the bed before shuffling down the hall to his door, knocking on it twice.

"What do you want?"

"Carter, please!" you whined. It was dramatic, but it would get your point across.

"Fine, you can come in."

With a smile, you pushed open the door and confidently walked into his room, stopping right at the foot of his bed. He rotated in his desk chair so that he could face you, just in time for you to flop face-first into his mattress and let out a dramatic groan.

"Alright, what happened?" he asked.

You grabbed your phone from your pocket and handed it to him without another word. The power button clicked as he turned it on to read the message.

"Tyler's gone," he said plainly. It was a statement, not a question. You nodded into his comforter. "How are you feeling?"

You rolled onto your back so that Carter would be able to hear you clearly. His hearing was bad enough as it was, so there was no way he would be able to tell what you were saying if it was muffled by the bed.

"I'm not sure."

"You're not sure?"

"Yeah. It's like if all the emotions were on the edge of a circle, I'm right in the middle of it."

Carter's eyebrows furrowed, but he seemed to mostly understand what you were saying.

"Well, maybe I'm leaning a little more towards sad," you added.

"Because he's gone?"

"Yes. It's like - I'm not really sure how to explain it, Car, but these last few weeks with him were different. He was different. For awhile there I thought he might even feel the same way about me, but now he's gone so I guess I won't ever really know."

"Y/N, you're acting like he's gone forever. You two are probably still going to talk every day and before you know it, he'll be back again."

"Yeah, you have a point."

"I know I do," Carter smiled. "I'm really good at that."

"Yeah, you are."

Carter reached over and gave you a light punch in the shoulder, "What do you say we make some lunch and play video games to keep you distracted? I wouldn't want you leaning too far towards sad."

You sat up and turned to face Carter, "What are we going to make?"

"Whatever you want."

"How do peanut butter and jelly sandwiches sound?"