Part 8 - The Boy from District 11.

Start from the beginning

" Fat chance. Were well hidden."

I sit down. Not beside Thresh, but close to him. I'm starting to trust the guy.

"And... if were so well hidden, how do we get supplies?"

"Well, the wheat helps, I eat mostly that, and drink from the pond. I picked up a bag at the Cornucopia, and that's where I get the Iodine to purify the water from."

I'm surprised that Thresh didn't join the Careers. He's so strong and reliable... and I wonder why he refused their offer.

"I've got some food," I say suddenly, and reach into my pack, taking out the contents.

"Really?" Thresh's dark eyes light up, excited at the prospect of food other than that wheat.

I'm digging through my bag, but I can't seem to find most of my food supply. I have my water bottle, fishing net and raisins, but that's all I can find. Did Thresh steal something? I thought I checked pretty thoroughly...

 I'm growing desperate when remember the fire.

"Oh no," I whisper.

"What?" Thresh becomes panicked, and unsheathes a weapon from his belt. The blade of Thresh's scythe glints in the evening sun. Or at least that's what the Game-makers have made the arena look like, anyway.

"Careful, Thresh!" I shout, jumping to my feet.

"Nobody's here, it's ok!"

He seems to calm down, but keeps the weapon in hand.

" I'm sorry Thresh, there was a fire, and my bag wasn't zipped up properly. The food fell out." I mumble, feeling like I let him down.

Thresh's eyes droop a little from dissapointment.

" But we can just do some fishing in the pond over there. I have a net." I say quickly. 

"No  point," say's Thresh.

" There are no fish in that pond."

I'm shocked. I can't speak. How are we going to eat? I mean, me. No, I canno't form an alliance with this boy. He would kill me in an instant.

But his eye's are so warm, and I feel comforted by the thought of him being here. My thoughts about Thresh cloud over, and I'm still stuck on how to get food, when I think of Katniss. I saw the Career's pursuing her, and I haven't seen her picture in the sky or heard a cannon yet. They should still be tracking her.

" Thresh," I say.

" I have an idea."

                                                                               *****

I'm lying on my belly in the dry earth, trying to stick to the tree's that conceal me. The Careers have taken all the supplies from the Cornucopia and have stacked them up in a huge pyramid, which is a good ten metres from where I'm hiding. Although I know that nobody near the supplies would be able to see me from here, I still feel cautious, and my heart is beating fast, like a hammer against cloth.

I can see that the Careers have stacked up all of their supplies neatly into a pyramid sort of shape. This is a clever strategy, if one where to ( like me ) sneak up on these supplies and streal, the would most likely go for the middle as they wouldn't be able to reach the top. If I wanted these supplies, I'd have to climb. As I'm about to run towards the supplies, I notice something. Large mounds of dirt are placed evenly around the precious survival products. I wonder who could have done this. Not the Careers; they're too stupid and wouldn't be patient enough. I look to my right, and can see the figure and the boy from District 3. The other Careers must have gone out 'hunting' leaving this boy to keep watch.