The Feast

Marigold's POV

I waited in the tree line as I watched the bags lined up on a table in the middle of the cornucopia .

I looked at the bags labelled 12 and 2 aswell 5 and 11 .

Should I take 2 aswell as 12 ? I mean Clove is from District 2 although I presume the bag for 2 was meant for Cato and the bag for 12 is meant for both Clove and I as we are together .

I hopped a foot out of the tree line only for Foxface to sprint out of the inside of the cornucopia . How did I not notice her in there ?

She looked around hurriedly before sprinting off into the trees .

This was it time for me to take a Chance .

I ran towards bag number 12 and grabbed it only to turn around and have Thresh's machete held to my neck .

"Did you kill her ?"
He shouted referring to Rue .

"No I wouldn't . I swear I wouldn't . It was the boy from one"

I knew pleading was pathetic but I certainly didn't want to be killed because someone thought I had murdered a innocent child when I didn't even if it was in the games .

"Liar"

He shouted once more before cutting my leg causing me to grunt in pain .

I watched as he raised the machete above my head about to swing it down onto me until he dropped to the ground and a cannon boomed .

I looked down to see a knife lodged in his back before looking across to see Clove .

"Thanks"
I muttered .

"I told you you shouldn't have gone"
She breathed .

"We need water"

"And now we need medicine"
She sassed gesturing too my now injured leg .

I picked up Twelves bag and watched Clove snatch twos bag .

I gave her a look but quickly dismissed it as it was the games and she had every right to take the bag considering she was from District 2 .

"Well looks like you didn't collapse"

I said to Clove whilst tossing her the water from Twelves bag which she had a good few mouthfuls of before handing it to me .

**************

Clove and I made our way back to the cave we had been staying in the past few days where she opened the bag from two .

I was relieved to see that it was cream that I presumed healed things .

Did this mean Cato was injured ? As the bag was clearly for him .

Clove rubbed the cream on my leg which quickly soothed the cut .

"There's only four left"
I whispered .