Chapter 6: Lucas

© rainthereader 2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 6

Lucas

I turned back and watched Cay ascend the stairs, hasty footsteps echoing with each step.  I was left with her sweet scent lingering the air, and I inhaled them before it completely disappeared.  God, this was going to be hard.

As I stared at the now empty space, I recalled the moment I entered Shannon's living room and noticed her coming down, completely forgetting who she was.  I was seeing Chloe: her lovely face innocent, beautiful and unassuming.

Placing my hand on the wooden railing where hers was just minutes ago, I thought about the way her body  tensed when I approached.

She had the audacity not to take her eyes away from mine.  But I recognized her trepidation the moment I stopped and stood in front of her.  The green depths of her eyes revealed her nervousness, so I tried to ease her mood by greeting her and introducing myself. 

What I wasn’t prepared for was my name coming out from her lips.

That voice.  It left me breathless, made my mouth dry.   It was the perfect sound in the world… And I wished she’d say my name again. 

But she didn’t say another word, and studied me instead, a combination of awe and admiration visible on her face.  She was trying her best to conceal it, but I knew she was curious about me, just as I was about her.

I shivered with electricity as she looked down and subtly checked my body out, a smile playing on my lips at the gesture.  I tried to move a millimeter more so that we’d be closer, but then she looked at me again with those expressive emerald eyes and I couldn’t help but tease her naïveté.

“You like what you see?”

My question sent her into a panic and like a prey discovering her predator, she started to flee.  But I couldn’t let her go just yet.  I knew I had to, but I had craved Chloe’s presence so damn much that I allowed myself to imagine that it was her and not someone else.     

Instantly placing my huge form behind her delicate back, I leaned my head on her temple and a bloom of passion fruit and honeysuckle invaded my senses.  She smelled so good all reason fled me, and burying my face in the crook of her neck was so tempting that my hands were itching to grab her shoulders and keep her with me.

“Are you afraid of me?”

Of course her answer was no and I expected that.  She was trying to be brave, not permitting me to intimidate her.  With an air of confidence she reasoned that she needed to go to Lizzie’s room and get her glasses.  It surprised me,  because it was just sitting right on the top of her head.

She was as affected as I was.

Startling her, I picked it up, then placed it back on her face.  Just then a strand of silky reddish-brown hair fell loose, and I tortured myself and tucked it behind her ear.  Again, she gazed at me.

And of course I gazed back.  I just couldn't help it.

I drank in her beauty.  Pink lips.  Tinted cheeks.  Sophisticated, up-turned nose.  Mesmerizing eyes.  It's her. It's Chloe.

I wanted to shout.  To cry.  Her lovely face was too much, it was overwhelming.

But as I continued to study her features, a birthmark that I didn’t notice before etched her right eyebrow.  It was a small one, but evident, nonetheless.

It was not Chloe.

She's dead, Luc. 

Dead.