one

ONE !

TWO YEARS AGO

10TH GRADE. Mackenzie Ziegler anxiously scanned the cafeteria, watching friend groups combine into their set locations. It hadn't even been three hours and she was already viewing Panning High as hell. People smiled at her, knowing to always be kind to the new girl, but no one was actually helping her. Obviously she could sit wherever, but she felt frozen, her feet glued to the ground just staring at her new classmates. Mackenzie knew that whoever she sat with this first day, she would be forced to build a friendship with, so it was crucial to find a group of sweet and goodhearted kids, much like herself. Unfortunately for her, it wasn't always clear from first sight who those kids were. 

She spotted a red haired girl smiling at her and was about to make her way towards her when she heard a noise from behind her. 

"Hi! Mackenzie right?" Her thoughts were interrupted as Mackenzie swiveled her body around, whacking the girl speaking to her with her long ponytail.

"I'm Maisy, follow me!" The brunette motioned for Mackenzie to follow her. As Mackenzie followed Maisy, she felt the transition of the kids in the room. Suddenly everyone was watching her, staring at her interactions with Maisy. The red haired girl stared, mouth gaping with what Mackenzie couldn't label as fear or awe. The room became silent and Mackenzie awkwardly followed Maisy to the furthest table in the cafeteria. Maisy slid into the seat next to two brown haired boys and then pointed to the seat across from her.

"Sit." Maisy said, more of a command than a request, but Mackenzie didn't seem to notice.

"Who the fuck is this?" One of the brown haired boys yelled accusingly. Mackenzie brushed a single strand of her hair out of her face, trying to ignore the curly boy's comment. 

"This Hayden, is our new friend, Kenzie." Maisy said. "And that's Brandon." Maisy said, pointing to the other boy.

"Kenzie? Yuck," Mackenzie said wrinkling her nose at the nickname Maisy gave her. "You can call me Mackenzie if that's okay." 

Brandon and Hayden bit their lips, not making eye contact with either Maisy or Mackenzie as Maisy smiled back at Mackenzie. However, for a second, there was something more in Maisy's stare. A hint of rebellion, devilish, intimidation. But as soon as Mackenzie saw it, it was gone, and replaced with a smiling Maisy. 

"Don't worry Kenzie, stick with us and you'll have fun here." Maisy smiled as Hayden and Brandon nodded along with her.