The Spawns | Chapter XLIV -- A Major Eaton Kink

Start from the beginning

I was glad Beth was taking this news easily. I guess it didn't affect her the same way that it did me.

We lounged around, being lazy and useless, joking around and playing around. It was fun to be just the four of us again. It felt good. Comfortable. Right.

At the end of the afternoon, Beth and Jay's parents came back from work. Their mom stepped out on their back porch and announced, "Your grandfather is coming over for diner. Did you guys want to stay over?"

Maika and I looked at each other. As if she even needed to ask.

I was getting hungry.

We all went inside at that point, helping with setting the table and the food. Lexi shooed us rapidly out of her kitchen.

I was sitting in the living room with Maika throwing cushions in her face and dodging hers when I heard the voice of Jay and Beth's grandfather, Lexi's dad.

"AW! The fruit of the loins of the fruit of my loins."

Apparently, he used to have a bit more of a filter, but as he was aging, the less and less he censored himself. It was entertaining to say the least. He was nothing like my grandfather. My grandfather would have probably grounded him.

He always looked like that kind of granddad that would be playing pranks on his family all the time. He kind of was too.

We all gathered at in the dining room around the big table, passing plates and catching up.

This room was something I had always been envious of. We didn't have a dining room at my parents' place, we just had a big counter with stools around it. When people came over to eat, they generally just sat everywhere around. It didn't feel like a homey place to gather, it felt like a bachelor pad.

This felt like a home.

"While you're here dad it's probably a good time to tell you that our son and Maika are dating," Lexi announced.

"No." Michael Grayson set his fork and knife on the table eyes wide. He looked like someone had just died.

"Yep, cough up the cash old man," Blake grinned.

Wait, what were they talking about? Was this another of our old folks' ridiculous bets? Had they betted on when Mai and Jay were gonna date?

"God, it's bad enough that you kids started that bet without me, and now I lose it. I'm becoming the shell of a shark, I'm not a shark anymore, I'm a clown fish. A CLOWN FISH!" the old man ranted while taking his wallet out of his pocket and just pilling twenty-dollar bills over twenty-dollar bills on the table.

Our families were not normal.

"How much money did you guys bet..." Beth muttered under her breath. No one bothered to answer her.

"Calm down dad," Lexi told him, rolling her eyes.

We were kind of all smothering our laughter.

He ignored us and belched, "A CLOWN FISH!"

"It's not a bad thing, it means that you taught us so well, that now we're astute like you."

"Stop sucking up, I'm losing my touch. Soon you'll send me to a retirement home," he whined, crossing his arms over his chest like a pouting child.

"We're not sending you to a retirement home," his daughter pressed. Jayden had his had over his mouth to keep from laughing.

"Of course you're not. I'll marry a hot twenty-something year old before you can do that. And I'll give everything to her in my will!"

Lexi sighed, "So, let me get this straight, you're disinheriting us because you lost a bet?"

"You're a petty loser grandpa," Beth remarked. I coughed a laugh.

"Totally," Jay agreed.

The grandfather glared at his grandchildren. "I'm not a petty loser!"

Jay grinned. "Yeah you are."

"Lexi, control your children!"

"Mom, control grandpa," Beth replied.

I smiled at their antics, enjoying their ridiculous family dynamic. I was jealous of it, obviously. This was the kind of funny I would have liked my parents to be, not the kind that made embarrassing sex innuendos during parent teacher conferences. My grandfather was a mean old man. My parents were teenagers dressing up as adults.

I longed for the kind of crazy normalcy that I always could feel when I sat at this table.

So, I kept smiling and laughing, but stayed quiet.

Dessert and coffee were served. The adults were talking and joking among themselves.

Beth and Jay were cleaning up the plates while the adults kept talking. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Beth walk out the back door.

I got up from my seat and followed her outside.

__________________________________________

A/N: There I was, thinking that I could actually be productive during a pandemic. I've been absolutely useless. The only reason I'm uploading today is because I made Ève promise that she would slap me if I hadn't finished writing Spawns by the time I had to start working again. I went back to work today. XD

I know I talked about uploading Smirking Jerk next but I just wanted to finish The Spawns really bad. I had it in my head that this was the perfect time to finish it. So yeah. Sorry about that.

See you guys tomorrow. Yep. You read right. The next few chapters are a little shorter. Sorry. But you'll get them quickly. There are two chapters left now. And one epilogue.

Toodles!