Dmitri's Decision

I slammed my brother's door shut and announced, "I have made a decision."

Alec didn't pause for a second. He just kept on munching on potato chips and playing on his game. It was weird how he was even more popular than me when he was such a video game addict. We have the same auburn hair although I grew mine out so it flopped against my eyes and his was cut short but whilemy eyes were olive green, his was a warm hazel. 

"I have decided," pause for dramatic effect, "to be gay."

Alec broke into a grin although he didn't stop playing, "Finally. What changed your mind?"

I thought back to the guy I met at where I worked, the ice skating rink. Tall, bulging biceps, intimidating, badass and everything I wanted to be and gay. If he could be gay and proud then I could too. "Did you know that gay could be badass? I didn't but I met a guy who showed me otherwise. I want to be a badass gay dude. I'll write on my resumé, 'badass and gay, how do you like that, bitches?' of course with proper grammar and punctuation. Come on, let's go tell mom and dad."

He finally paused his game and followed me out the door and down the stairs. Fortunately, they were both on the couch, snuggling with each other while watching movie. Aw, date night. So precious.

I turned off the television and stood in front of it with the remote control hostage.

"I have an announcement," I shouted, just to make sure that I had their attention.

Dad closed his eyes and massaged his temples while mom sat up smiled with amusement. She asked pleasantly, "What is it, dear?"

"Well mother," I straighted and cleared my throat, "I have decided to be gay."

They blinked at me for a moment but mom formed a slow smile. "That's wonderful, Dmitri. Now we can go shopping together."

I grimaced, "No, mother, I am not going to be the stereotypical gay. Just gay. I will bring home guys whom I will shag."

She shook her head, "Nope, you either go shopping with me or stay straight."

I glanced at Alec for help but he was too busy laughing to see my silent plea.

"Fine," I pouted, "I'll go shopping with you."

"Hold up, wait a second," my dad looked like he was getting a migraine, "Dmitri, you're being ridiculous. What do you mean you 'decided to be gay'? You can't just whimsically change your sexual orientation. You're making a mockery of every gay guy on the planet."

I couldn't really think of a rebuttal for that so I just yelled, "I believe in Love," and ran out the house like an angry teenage girl. I slowed down as soon as I hit the sidewalk, just in time to hear the door lock behind me. Pouting, I went next door and rang my best friend's doorbell. I rocked back and forth on my heels impatiently as I waited for someone to answer the door. A minute later, the door swung open, revealing Mr. Smith. He was a bulky guy about the same height as me with dark brown hair and the same green eyes as his son.

I grinned at him, "Hey, Smith."

He looked at me sleepily, "What are you doing here, Dmitri?"

I shrugged, "My parents kicked me out for being gay. Can I crash here?"

His eyes widened, "You're what?"

"Gay."

"Since when?"

"Since my shift at the ice rink ended."

He looked like he was about to ask more questions but thought better of it. "Just go."

I slid past him readily and ran up the stairs. Derek's door was wide open so I went right in and flopped, belly first, onto his bed. The bed he was laying in. At that moment. As usual, it was barely ten pm and my best friend was already sleep.

I heard him groan from beneath the sheets, "I hate you so much, D."

"I love you too, man," I hugged his outline, "You're so great. By the way, I'm gay now."

His muffled voice asked, "Since when?"

"Since my shift ended."

"Right."

We sat in silence for a while while I waited for my words to actually sink in.

"Get the hell off me." There we go.

I inched off him and sat at the end of his bed. He sat up and the covers fell off, revealing his dirty blond birdnest of a head and toned chest. His dark green eyes focused on me, "Now run that by me again."

"I'm gay," I recapped quite easily.

"Why?"

"Because I want to be."

"You can't just-"

"I wanna suck dicks."

He glared at me for interrupting, "You can't just decide that you want to be gay."

"Why not?"

He sighed and laid back down, pulling the covers back over his head in the process. I hopped on top of him again and pinched his bum, earning a few curses from him but he didn't resurface. I gave up trying to get him to actually talk to me and just fell asleep.