Osaka

So, this chapter is pretty short but don't worry, the next one will come within the next two weeks (that sounded a lot better in my head). Anyway, short, don't blame me. I don't know what I'm doing with my life. I just do it for the feels, man.

"No, Dmitri."

"Please?"

"No."

"Pretty please?"

"No."

"Pretty please with rainbow sprinkles and lemon slices and, and... apple pie." I picked up a pie and smiled pleadingly. We were at the supermarket for Dominic's weekly food run. I volunteered to come along since I was doing most of the cooking lately. My mom always told me that good food needs good ingredients.

He was unamused. "I hate apple pie."

"How can you hate apple pie?" I asked in disbelief, "It's apple pie. There's nothing more perfect."

"Really?" he said dryly.

"Well," I hummed thoughtfully then kissed his cheek, "There's you."

He threw his arm around my shoulder pressed a silent kiss against my temple, "I don't need pie when you're already sweet enough to give me diabetes."

I perked up hopefully, "So can I come?"

"No."

I pouted, "Why not?"

"Because, Dmitri, it's not a field trip, it's a research excursion. I'm going to be working with my classmates most of the time and you're going to be lonely and bored."

"I promise not to bother you as long as we sleep in the same bed every night." Sleep meant only sleep. We had decided not to push the whole sex thing. We would know when it was time.

"Dmitri." Unicorn eyes go full power. He groaned loudly, "Fine, you can come."

I squealed, "Really?"

"I'm going to regret this."

"This is going to be so great."

"I'm really going to regret this."

"Where is your class going anyway?"

"Dmitri," although he was annoyed, he couldn't help laughing, "If you didn't know then why are so eager to come?"

"Because you're going, silly," I flicked his nose, "I can't be away from you for a whole two weeks. That's insane."

"What about school?"

"What about recorded lessons emailed to me every day? I have connections," I grinned, "I already spoke to my professors. I can take all the quizzes I miss when I come back."

"You scheming little con artist," he glowered, "You knew you were going to break me down."

"You did too," I teased.

He rolled his eyes, "I'm getting weak. I have to up my defenses against you or I'll end up in chasing penguins in Antarctica."

I gasped, "You say that like it's a bad thing. We totally have to do that. I really want to do that now. We can take a fishing boat there and a couple of nights in a tent and chase penguins then the boat can come pick us up. It'd be so great."

"Oh god," Dominic murmured, his hand covering his eyes, "Dmitri."

I stared at him, wide-eyed, feeling my hopes diminish, "What?"

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but we'll get to it." I gasped, my smile growing. "One thing at a time, okay? Let's focus on this trip right now. We have our whole life to travel, no need to rush it."

"So you guys plan to travel?" Derek asked. He was deep under my blanket while watching me pack.

I nodded, "Antarctica, Africa, Asia, Europe, anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes touring, sometimes backpacking, but always together."

"Geez, D, thanks for leaving the rest of us behind," he sighed, "But I'm happy for you, you know? I know you've always wanted to see the world. You wanted to see the world, get married, start a family, teach at a school and I'm the idiot who doesn't even want to pursue a career in basketball. I don't know what I want, D and now you're off living your life while I don't even want to get out of bed."

As he spoke, my movements came to a stuttering halt. Derek had burrowed even deeper in my bed to hide him shame and regret. I made my way over to my bed and sat down.

"Hey, it's okay to not know what you want," I assured him while rubbing calming circles on his back, "You have a whole life ahead of you to try out different things. Once you get your business degree, you can try your hand at different jobs and see where that gets you. If you don't like business, just learn something new and get back out there. It's never too late to find yourself."

He remained silent underneath my blanket.

I said thoughtfully, "You can work my shifts at the ice skating rink while I'm gone. I think it'd be good for you."

He lowered the blanket even to ask, "Why?"

"Because there you'll see that everyone goes at their own pace and if even when they fall, someone is there to pick them up. That's actually how a lot of love stories start."

He snorted, "Always the romantic, aren't you, D?"

I slapped his blanket covered body, "I'm in a committed relationship with an amazing boyfriend. I think I have a right to be, right now."

"Right, we've all heard that spiel before. No one will ever be as in love with your boyfriend as you are."

I was on my way to agreeing when I caught on to another meaning to his words. My eyes narrowed, "Exactly what is that supposed to mean, Derek?"

"No offense to either of you," he said hastily, "Just, he isn't the hottest guy you can get your hands on."

"He's beautiful," I informed my friend.

He hesitated, "Sure, but his personality isn't all that outstanding either."

"He's wonderful, intelligent and considerate and do I have to remind you of the girls you usually go out with?"

"But that's different, he's just so-"

"Derek," I interrupted sharply, "You only have one last chance to say something wrong before I kick you out my house."

His startled eyes landed on me then looked away guiltily. He probably saw the anger swirling just below the surface. "I'm happy as long as you're happy."

"Good, that's what I was hoping to hear." I patted his head, "Now I'm going to finish packing then I'll call Mr. Galaga about you working my shifts."

"Thanks, D," he murmured, "Where are you and Dominic going anyway? You never told me."

"Osaka, Japan," I grinned, "To see the Sakuya Konohana Kan botanical garden."

So, yeah, they're going to Japan because that's what I decided to do because if I did anything else, I may have ended up with "and... the end." I really am learning how to be a better writer (I think).