thirty one

chapter thirty one cognitive designs

chapter thirty one
cognitive designs

A full week in passing, the pain that both Ray and Thea went through was enough to last them both a lifetime. Thea was no longer under the control of HYDRA, and all mental controls had been taken from her mind.

Ray's health was on a rapid incline. Her tests no longer showed signs of swelling and the death her body was coming too. In fact, she was the perfect example of health. Her legs and arms thickened, as she had eaten more than her fair share in the week.

She was healthy again, and hadn't had a single seizure.

Ray and Thea spent a lot of time together as their bodies healed. Wanda even joined them; as she was still under house arrest and had nothing better to do. The three friends would sit in Steve's old bedroom and watch TV, play games, and most importantly, talk.

Ray would tell Wanda about all the things that she had gone through; even though the Scarlet Witch could simply look through Ray's mind and figure the things out for herself.

Wanda even helped bring a few distant memories to Ray; and she was remembering more and more.

Thea was usually quiet, skeptical as ever, but she did enjoy the time they shared. While it was very strange for her, she loved feeling normal again and feeling as if she belonged somewhere. Wanda and Ray even dyed her hair to make her feel better about who she was now.

Though Ray did still long to be reconnected with Bucky. She thought of him every day; she even gossiped with Wanda from time to time about their lovers. They would sit on the bed, share snacks, and talk.

She missed him like crazy, but she was happy. She felt happy. She was safe for now and she was healthy. And she was happy for it.

The morning that that very happiness drained came quicker than anyone expected.

It was earlier in the Sunday morning and the Avenger's facility was quiet. The level that everyone lived on, save Tony, had no other occupancies. Rhodes was in Washington DC and Pepper was in the city for work.

That left a very quiet floor with a small party of people.

Bruce Banner was eating breakfast, watching the news, when Ray walked in. Sleep was still very much evident on her; as she wore an oversized shirt and leggings.

"Hey, dad." Ray mumbled through sleep; the name still foreign to her.

"Hey, Ray." Bruce tried his best not to smile and remain normal. Being called dad again by his daughter was still foreign to him too, though he loved it. It brought him back to before his life was a fiery mess.