It took a big piece

Lorraine's POV

When I was finished with the sheets, I sat on the porch swing for a while, lost in my own thoughts. Wondering how Judy was today, what she would be doing. She would enjoy this place, at least if it wasn't haunted. Judy wasn't really a fan of everything that had to do with our job. Understandable, what eight year old would be? Our artefact room freaked her out, she always passed it as quickly as she could. Yet sometimes curiosity got the better of her, or so it would seem. Ed found her in the room on occasions, looking around. She wouldn't notice he spotted her, and when he touched her she would be terrified. Sometimes I fear the evil within that room lures her in there, wanting to possess her.

The wind chime snapped me out of my thoughts. I was freezing, the wind had picked up in speed and the sky coloured dark grey. I ran towards the laundry, hurrying to get it inside. When I want to take down the white sheet it blows of the clothesline, stops in mid air, looking like a person and holds there before blowing to Carolyn's bedroom window. Then it blows to the side and I see someone standing in the window looking at me. The woman turns around and gets out of my sight.

I froze, realising it wasn't Carolyn and immediately ran inside and up the stairs. Carolyn's bed was empty, I could hear her in the bathroom. But she didn't react or open the door, but i could hear her gagging. I ran to the bathroom's other door down the hall when she opened the door. "Are you okay? Are you sick?" I asked her. She looked even worse than this morning. "I'm fine, I woke up just feeling a bit nauseous, that's all," she said. "I thought I saw ..." but she cut me off, "I hear Roger and the girls, one minute." And she walked passed me. I stood there, something was wrong. She didn't seem like herself, and while I have a strong sense of hearing I hadn't heard anything proving that her husband and the girls even were on the premises.

Ed's POV

The moment Roger arrived with the girls I was already installing the new, well used, carburettor. He walked up to me, " I thought that was you." I'd never let a chance to work on a car go past me, so I asked "Hey, I hope you don't mind. I got a good deal on a rebuilt, at that wrecking yard in Smithfield." He smiled
"No, you look like you know what you're doing." "Yeah, we'll see! Got a nice place here, Roger. Lorraine and I always wanted a spot in the country." I told him, still trying to fit in the part. "I'll sell you this one." We both laughed.
"Hey, get me a wrench, would ya?" I asked.

Roger hesitated for a bit "Hey, uh... Really means a lot to us to have you here. I gotta admit I was a little bit skeptical going in." I looked up, "I just want to say thank you, though for coming out, when you did." He meant it. It usually was the case that the husband was the skeptic, even though they had seen things happen.
"I can't take the credit. It, uh... That's all Lorraine. I didn't want to!" I had to be honest. "Oh, why is that?" I sighed, "Whatever Lorraine sees, feels, touches... it helps people, but it also takes a toll on her. Little piece each time." He nodded. "Couple months ago we worked on a case. She saw something." And i was catapulted back to that moment.

The exorcism of Maurice had only been going on for 23 minutes, but he started to cry blood. It was the demon trying to fight the holy words, destroying him from the inside out. Even though an exorcism is extremely dangerous for everyone in the room, and we ought to keep our distance, Lorraine always cared for the victim. Even if that meant being vulnerable, especially with her gift. She was wiping the blood of the man's face when all of the sudden he grabbed her by the arms. Her face had an expression of pure horror, all the blood drained out of it. She went blank, started shaking, trying to get out of Maurice's grip and started screaming. I'd never hear her scream like that, it chilled my blood.
Right away I ran to her, pulling the farmer of her, while she kept screaming. Drew was filming, he was in the way, so I yelled he had to get out. I needed to protect Lorraine!
After what seemed like an eternity of Lorraine screaming her head of, she went limp in my arms. I carried her to the next room and put her in the sofa. All the while stroking her hair, holding her hand and softly calling her name. Hoping she would come to. It took her over half an hour to regain consciousness.
I came back to Roger "It took a real big piece. When we got home, she went into our room, locked herself in. Didn't talk, didn't eat, didn't come out for 8 days." Roger looked at me,"What did she see?" "I do not know." That was all I could tell, "And I won't ask!"

Second update of today. Need to make the most of it, as school starts on Monday and I'll have considerably less time! Thank you for those who are following the story, I hope you enjoy! As always, tips are welcome!