A Little Happiness

Inspired by the song 'A Little Happiness'. It's from a Taiwanese movie called 'Our Times' and I think it kind of fits with the whole Steve Bucky Peggy situation going on. Enjoy :D

Also, I definitely recommend the movie omg it's so pure and heart-warming and imma cry thinking about it again goodnight
----------------------------------
The lights are twinkling in Bucky's eyes at the wedding reception he wishes he didn't have to be at. The room is buzzing with energy as half of the party-goers dance to the funky tune played by the DJ.

In the beat of the music, he feels himself slipping away from reality, and to a time where everything was simpler. It was him and Steve against the world.

He wishes he could turn back time and fix what both of them would rather forget. It's not an easy task, pretending to be happy for the man he's loved for so long, but he figures that if he wants to make things easier for him in the future, he will have to.

The dance floor is packed with people, some drinking, some others calmly watching. It's almost too loud in Bucky's head.

When the time comes and Tony hands the mic to him, Bucky stands up and prepares the small slip of paper containing the words to his speech.

"Hey, everyone," he greets the audience with a shy smile and a small wave. "First of all, I like to keep things short, so here goes: Steve, my best pal, you've grown up to be the person I knew you'd always be," he continues. "That was very cheesy of me. Sorry," he says, chuckling, earning a few laughs, "and I'm really happy for the both of you. Genuinely. From the bottom of my heart." He wishes he didn't have to lie through his teeth.

The audience stays quiet, all grinning up at Bucky.

"I'm sure you all know that Steve and I used to be a thing," he says, acknowledging the elephant in the room, "and I hope you all know that I'm not up to fighting Peggy Carter herself for Steve. She's the fiercest person I know and I know damn well I wouldn't stand a chance."

People laugh. Bucky notices Steve looking at him from the altar and keeps on reading the paper in his hands.

"So yeah. We're still best friends now, don't worry. I didn't bribe him to make me his best man or anything," he continues, chuckling. His owns words echo in his mind as he says them aloud, and he's transported back to the simpler times he was thinking about earlier.

"Get up, you lazy lil thing," Bucky says, shaking Steve awake from his slumber.

"I'm bigger than you," Steve mutters under his breath, pulling the covers up to cover his face. "Five more minutes, Buck."

"You said five more minutes thirty minutes ago," Bucky says, reaching under the blanket to ruffle Steve's hair. "We have to get up. Tony has a briefing about the mission that started like, fifteen minutes ago."

"Then what's the point of going?"

Bucky sighs, weighing the options of going back to sleep with his lover or sitting in the meeting room for two hours just for Tony to brag about his planning skills. The first one definitely seems far more tempting.

So, that's what he does. He goes under the covers, wrapping his arm around Steve's bare waist, nuzzling his nose into the blond's neck. The bruise on his shoulder reminds him of the unspeakable things they did last night, and he loves it.

Soon, they both drift off to sleep.

He smiles at the memory as he keeps on reading.

The room has too little air, Bucky notices, desperately struggling to breathe as a wave of panic washes over him once more. This has happened three times in the past two days, and Bucky's just about tired with how his brain goes into panic mode when a mere word is mentioned. And every single time, Steve's there to make sure Bucky's okay.