When In Wakanda

"Sergeant Barnes, this is like the fifth time you've Skyped Captain Rogers today," Shuri whines as she enters Bucky's room. "You two should just meet up. I don't wanna hear any of your lame pick-up lines anymore. Just do it in person, man!"

Bucky laughs. He's practically her brother already, considering all the time they've spent together designing his new arm and inevitably forming a sibling-like relationship. Though, it doesn't stop the young princess from calling Bucky 'Sergeant Barnes' just to mess with him.

"Well, Princess Shuri," he starts, tapping on Steve's name in the dialing section of the app,"he's gonna be here in a few hours."

Shuri can't help but squeal excitedly, slightly bouncing on her heels. "Finally! My ship's sailing!"

Bucky shoots her a look, his eyebrows raised. "Honestly, with all the time I've spent around you, I should at least understand something."

"Sucks that you're a slow learner, then, Sergeant Barnes."

"Bucky."

"Okay, Sergeant Bucky Barnes."

"No-" he's cut off by Steve picking up the phone.

"Hey, sweetness," Steve greets calmly, his eyes crinkling from the wide grin on his face.

Out of the corner of his eye, Bucky can see Shuri squealing inaudibly, before running outside. He guesses that she's calling Parker. "Hey, Stevie," he replies, unable the wipe of the stupid smile on his face.

"How've you been?"

"Steve, it's been two hours since we last talked," Bucky laughs. "Been good. Waiting for you to get here so that I can show you my goats."

Steve's heart practically swells with love, seeing his man so happy after all that he's been through always gets him emotional. "I can't wait to see them," he says. "Have you eaten?"

"Mhm," Bucky answers. "The food here's amazing. Definitely an upgrade from the boiled food we used to have back in the 40s."

"Yeah?" Steve cocks his head to the side, his eyes only focused on his man. "I'm glad, love."

"How's the Stark Tower been treating you lately? Has Wilson been annoying the shit outta you?" Bucky asks, his tone humorous.

"The tech here is amazing, Buck. I've been here for years but there's always something that surprises me at the end o' the day," Steve gestures to his surroundings, turning his phone around so that Bucky can see what he's talking about. "And yes, Sam's been, ya know, Sam," he continues, rolling his eyes at his best friend's behavior.

Bucky just stares in awe. It's as if nothing Steve does will ever put out the fire that Bucky feels inside of him whenever he sees his boy.

"The team's telling me that the jet's ready. I'll see you in a bit, love."

"See ya, Stevie."
***
When Steve arrives, Bucky's nowhere to be seen. He figures that Bucky might just be in his room, so he follows Shuri, who hasn't stopped gushing about how much Bucky talks about Steve to Steve himself, to Bucky's room.

Shuri gives them some space once Steve's about to knock on Bucky's door, calling Peter (her freaking-out buddy) again.

Steve knocks once and then twice, but gets no response. In the end, he opens the door to find Bucky in bed, sleeping.

He still has his earbuds on from when he Skyped Steve, his hair a mess on his pillow, his face relaxed.

Steve has never seen him sleep this peacefully. When they shared a room in the Stark Tower just a few weeks ago, Steve would always be woken up by Bucky's screams throughout the night. He'd thought that Bucky had stopped having nightmares, since it's been about a year after the last time Bucky turned into the Winter Soldier.

He doesn't want to wake him up at all, but it's barely noon, and he worries that Bucky might not be able to sleep tonight.

To be safe (because of course, he knows how Bucky gets when he's tired), he leans in close to Bucky's face, and places a soft kiss on his forehead.

Bucky shifts just slightly, raising his eyebrows absentmindedly and stretching his arm out.

Steve peppers kisses all over Bucky's face, just like how Bucky used to do to him when they were still in their run-down apartment in Brooklyn back in the 40s. He sees Bucky opening his eyes, revealing the blue eyes he's missed more than he's willing to admit.

"Steve?"

"Hey, Buck." Steve beams, moving just backwards just enough to give Bucky space to sit up.

"Steve," Bucky calls out again, as if not believing that his man is actually right in front of him. "Steve, you're here!" He wrapped his arm around his man, pulling him closer and squeezing him just a little bit.

It's been too long.

"I missed you so much," Steve whispers into Bucky's hair, breathing in his scent. "God, why'd I ever leave you?"

Bucky chuckles, feeling extremely content in Steve's arms. "You should've been here to watch me name one of my goats 'Steve'."

Steve pulls away, a look of surprise on his face. "You named a goat after me?" He can't keep his smile off his face.

Bucky modded, grinning. "Don't get me wrong, I love you," he pecks Steve's lips,"but it's cause he keeps on getting stuck inside fences and trying to fight other goats. I'unno, just reminds me of you because you're so fucking careless sometimes."

They're quiet for a moment, with Steve expecting a whole lecture from his best guy, but it never came. Instead, laughter fills his ears.

"You're an asshole, Barnes," he grumbled, rolling his eyes.

"You love my asshole."

Steve chokes, before smacking Bucky's side a little bit too harshly, but Bucky doesn't seem to mind.

They both head out to the backyard, hand in hand as the wind gusts through them, blowing Bucky's hair into Steve face quite ungracefully.

Steve laughs, though, nothing in the world could take this away from him.

Nothing in the world could take Bucky away from him.

"Steve, meet Steve," Bucky beckons over a small goat, and Steve the goat obliges. "See, Steve? He even listens to me," Bucky teases.

Steve just grins, wrapping an arm around his man's shoulders and pulling him closer.

There aren't many words he can say back, but just having Bucky on his side again makes him feel like he's on top of the world. He places a soft kiss on the side of Bucky's head, and Bucky leans on his shoulder, watching their kids (goat, not human) run around and jump on trees because that's just how they are sometimes.

"I could do this all day."