Chapter 2

By the time they get back to the hotel, Lexi has seen the proposal more times than she can count. As expected, the video is all over social media and people are going crazy over it. In both good ways and bad ways. Some find it utterly adorable and sweet, others find it attention-seeking and cheap. Lexi herself, however, hasn't quite made up her mind on the situation.

"How are you feeling?" Lewis asks as he walks out of the bathroom, freshly showered.

"Not quite sure. I just keep repeating it over and over in my head, trying to see if I can figure out how I feel. From the moment you pulled me over the barriers, to when my dad handed you the box to when you went down on one knee...," Lexi sums up.

"It's a lot, I know."

"It is yeah. Wait...," Lexi says, suddenly realizing something.

"What is it?"

"My dad handed you the box. Which means he was in on it."

"Of course he was. I would never ask you to marry me without his permission. I know how important he is to you," Lewis explains, making Lexi smile slightly.

"Thank you, I appreciate that."

"If you still aren't sure though, why did you say yes?"

"Because the whole world was watching us."

"So you don't actually want to marry me?" Lewis asks, his tone becoming defensive.

"I don't know what I want Lew," Lexi sighs.

"Do you even want me?"

"Of course I do! I love you!"

"But you don't want to marry me," Lewis states, not even asking anymore.

"I do, eventually. I just don't know if I want to get married now," Lexi says softly as she takes off the ring Lewis put on her finger just a few hours prior, tears rolling down her cheeks as she does. Lewis looks away, not wanting to see her take the ring off.

"So now what?" Lewis asks, fighting against the tears.

"What do you mean?"

"People will expect information about the wedding at some point. When it will be, what kind of wedding it will be, the kind of location, stuff like that. If you don't want to get married yet, we won't start planning yet so we won't have anything to tell them. People will grow suspicious and all kinds of rumors will start floating around."

"So we just say we haven't started planning yet, nothing wrong with that."

"At the beginning no. But after a few months, people will expect more than that."

"I just don't know Lew, I need space and time to think."

"What does that mean?"

"I think I need to go home for a little while," Lexi says softly, making Lewis' eyes widen.

"Go home? As in, by yourself?"

"Yeah, I need some time for me."

"Did I not give you enough time for yourself?" Lewis asks, starting to get worried.

"You did Lew, it wasn't anything you did. The past two years have just been crazy and I need some time to breathe and reflect."

"Without me."

"I wish it could be with you, but I know that's not possible," Lexi says, making Lewis sigh.

"If you think that's what's best."

"I do, for both of us. And for us in the long haul."

"Then I'm not stopping you."

"And I still love you, never forget that," Lexi says as she wraps her arms around Lewis, resting her head against his chest."

"I love you too."

With a heavy feeling in her chest, Lexi arrives at the airport. As always, she's with Lewis. However, unlike normally, they won't be on the same plane. Whilst Lewis flies to England to work on some stuff with the team and meet with some sponsors, Lexi flies to Monaco, where she'll be spending some time in the apartment they share there.

"I don't like this," Lewis admits as he turns to look at Lexi. Even though the car pulled over in front of the airport several minutes ago, neither of them have moved.

"Neither do I, but it's needed."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I don't know, I just feel it."

"At least wear this, please," Lewis asks as he takes out the ring she took off earlier.

"Lew," Lexi starts, but Lewis interrupts her.

"Not as an engagement ring, at least not yet. But as a promise, like we made before. A promise to each other that no matter what, we'll figure it out. That no matter what, we still love each other."

"Okay," Lexi says as she takes the ring from Lewis, putting it on her finger again.

"Thank you," Lewis says, just as there's a knock on the car door. It opens seconds later, their driver, who had been waiting outside, looking in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but if you don't want to miss your flights, you need to start heading inside," he tells them and Lewis nods.

"Thank you," he says before getting out of the car. Lexi gets out as well and together, they make their way into the airport. As they expected, fans are waiting for them, hoping to catch a glimpse of the newly engaged couple. At least, that's what they think. Lewis takes Lexi's hand in his, as he always does, as they make their way to security.

"Let's not make them question anything yet. Don't want unnecessary drama," Lewis says and Lexi nods in agreement. They make their way through security before heading towards their gates. Luckily, they aren't too far apart as neither of them is ready to say goodbye just yet.

"This is me," Lexi says once they reach her gate. Lewis' is a little further and they both know he needs to get there soon.

"Yeahh. So I guess this is it."

"Yeah, I guess so."

"When will we see each other again?" Lewis asks as he takes both of Lexi's hands in his.

"I don't know. Soon, I hope."

"I need a little more than that Lex."

"I know and I'm sorry. I don't know how long this will take."

"Can we text? Call? Skype?"

"Of course! Just because I'm going home doesn't mean I want to live without you. We're still together, I still love you," Lexi says before softly kissing Lewis.

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, so much."

"I love you," Lewis says, kissing Lexi.

"And I love you," Lexi replies.

"Lewis, we need to go," Vince interrupts them, making the couple break apart.

"Dad, please? Just a little more time," Lexi asks, making Vince sigh.

"I'm sorry pumpkin, but the flight is already boarding. We need to go."

"It's okay, we knew this moment would come," Lewis says before turning to Lexi again, "I'll see you soon."

"I'll see you soon," Lexi repeats before kissing Lewis one last time. Then he steps back before turning around to join Vince. Lexi keeps watching until they disappear in the crowd. She takes a deep breath before sitting down as she waits until her own flight starts boarding. She can't break down, not yet.

Please don't hate me! Let me know what you think of this chapter in the comments. What would you like to see happen next? Don't forget to leave a vote!

Love Evy