OO2. "Will you just shut up and fight me?"

[sO1eO6 , infiltrator]

The slashes in Mara's skin run deeper than the rivers in Areopagus. Her whimpers are silent as Harmonia takes a cloth to her little sister's wounds. A chill emits off the cave walls and bounces back at Mara, but she doesn't dare complain.

Harmonia brings the cloth to a gash in Mara's forehead and it comes back completely red. With a frown, the Goddess of Peace sighs. "My dearest Mara, you know I adore the times we spend together but I must ask why you've yet to heal yourself."

"Father is right," Mara murmurs. "I failed and I deserve to face the punishment. I must feel every inch of pain in order to succeed next time." Her shoulders hunch in defeat. "If there even is a next time."

"There will be a next time," Harmonia reassures with a strong nod.

"How do you know?"

Harmonia's able to sense fights and influence serenity. She's much older and wiser than Mara so her tiny smile reassures the young demigoddess.

"There should not be a next time." Angrily, Phobos slams his fist against the wall, small layers of dirt and rubble crumbling to his feet. His piercing red eyes lock onto Harmonia as she shoots him a warning glare. "You are a child, not a soldier nor father's puppet."

A heavy frown paints Mara's face. "You and Deimos were only ten when you rode father's chariot to victory. I want the same glory."

"Sister―"

"I know you think that me only being half of what you are means that I'm weak or I need your protection, but I can handle myself now. I'm old enough to be a useful asset, can't you understand that?"

Phobos' pale lips part but no words come out.

"You helped train me so that I can join the fight!" Mara exasperates. "So that we can be the heroes they talk about in Greek mythology like Achilles and Perseus. I'm ready, brother!"

Simply, Phobos shakes his head. "Father's fight is not why I trained you."

And then he walks from the cave, his black cape swaying behind him. Mara watches him go, her cheeks puffed out in confusion. "What's gotten into him?"

Harmonia remains silent, continuing to patch up Mara's wounds who no longer flinches as her mind races. 

"Harmonia, give me a moment." A new voice penetrates the cave, causing Mara to immediately heal her wounds so that her father won't see the damage he caused. She can't show weakness.

Harmonia lingers a while longer. "Not everything is as it seems, dear sister," she says in a low hum before heading off.

Mara doesn't look at Ares as his seven foot stature hovers over her. "You understand why I did what I did?"

"Yes, Father."

"And you understand that your actions must never be repeated?"

"Yes, Father."

"Look at me when I speak to you!" Ares grabs ahold of Mara's chin and forces her to meet his gaze. His armor is tightly packed to his body and two pulsating red eyes peek out from beneath his spiked helmet. His voice is booming and Mara seems so tiny compared to his buff stature.

"Yes, Father!" Mara shouts, trying her best to keep the tremor out of her voice.

Ares stares at her a while longer, his fingers tightening around her flesh. "Very well then." He tosses her aside like a ragdoll. Immediately, she hops to her feet and faces him, afraid of the consequences if she looks away. "If you wish to no longer disappoint me, I have a new order that you will carry out."