The Fine Art Of Bullshit

You held the bat tightly in your hand, pointing to the grass as you glared determinedly at the serial killer in front of you.

'Sit,' you said, 'please.'

A pause. 'Fine. Have it your way.'

'Thank you.' It was a pleasant surprise to hear him cooperate without putting up a fight. 'It won't take long, I just...need you to talk and be honest.'

'What makes you think I would lie?' Eyeless Jack asked with a chuckle as he settled himself down on the grass. Your vision of him glitched, and you saw his true appearance before you blinked it away.

'I'm just making sure,' you argued, sitting back down on the doorstep, bat still in hand. 'So, uhm, how much do you remember?'

'Of...?'

'Your life. Childhood, school. That kinda thing.'

'Hm. Not much.' He shrugged. 'Most of my memories are from the ritual onwards.'

The ritual...

'Can you tell me what happened at the ritual?'

'Sure—only if you answer my questions. What is it you people play? Twenty questions?'

'You wanna play twenty questions?' you echoed, failing to quench the hollow laugh bubbling in your chest. 'Seriously?'

'Yeah,' he said with a nod, 'something wrong with that?'

'No, not at all.'

'Cool. What happened at the ritual is something I'm not ready to talk about yet.'

You winced. Sore subject.

'Sorry.'

'No worries. My turn. Why're you so interested in my past?'

'I...want to know more,' you answered, 'I'm curious. You said that 'most' of your memories were since the, um, thing. What do you remember from before then?'

'Something about a university. Or a school. I don't know what it is exactly—or where it is. My turn. Why're you curious about me?'

You hesitated, pondering on how to phrase your answer. 'Is it a crime to be interested?'

'That's not a proper answer.'

'It's the only answer I can give you.'

'Why?'

'My turn to ask questions, not yours. Why stay with No-Face and the others? Why not go out on your own and...do your thing.'

'Asking two questions at once is against the rules, I think,' Eyeless Jack stated, stretching his neck to the side.

Resisting the urge to roll your eyes, you said in a somewhat snarky tone, 'Fine, answer the first one then.'

'Alright then, Little Mx Teenager. No-Face—as you have so affectionally dubbed him—offered protection, so I took it.' He shrugged. 'Without him, humans probably would've shot me or thrown me in a lab by now. That school I mentioned earlier, can you take me to it?'

'When?'

'Today, preferably, while I'm here.'

You pulled out your phone, absent-mindedly opening your messages. 'If you insist,' you said.

Eyeless Jack got to his feet and was at your side in a second. 'What're you doing?'

'Finding out where you went to uni.'

'Who're you messaging?'

'Your old best friend.' You glanced up. 'You don't remember him, do you?'

He shook his head, slowly sinking to the ground.