17. Home

December 27th,

Shisui had heard the news. He and Itachi had just had the kidney transplant. Itachi kept postponing it until they no longer could and they didn't want to put more pressure on their younger brother. So they told him they had an urgent family business to tend to.

They hired a maid because god forbid they call her a nanny in front of him. He felt relieved when he heard Naruto was alive.
He would go see Naruto later, though according to Sasuke, no one was allowed any visits yet.

"Welcome home, Itachi" he smiled at his younger brother. He kissed his forehead.

"I'll get you breakfast

"I'll get you breakfast. By the way, Kakashi called"

"What did he say?" Itachi's voice was barely above a whisper.

"He'll be here in five m-..." He chuckled as the doorbell rang "he's here"

Kakashi rushed in as soon as the door was open.
"Itachi" he went straight to the bedroom and kneeled by his lover's bed "How are you feeling?"

"Better, now that you're here"

Shisui dry heaved "can you two get any cheesier?" The guys blushed at his remark "no worries, I'm going. Sasuke's still in the hospital. I doubt he'll leave it without Naruto by his side..." He messed his hair in frustration; wishing everything was back to normal.

Shisui was right about Sasuke not leaving the hospital. He had agreed to be home as soon as he sees Naruto.
Unfortunately for him, that took two weeks. He was told: Naruto suffered a heart attack and almost, hadn't the paramedics gotten there in time, went into cardiac arrest.

He was asleep, but seeing him well was enough for him. He held his hand, kissed it. Naruto reacted to the touch of his significant other.
"Sasuke...teme" he was too weak to even smile.

"Usuratonkachi, you scared me to death"

"You? Worried? Where's the real Sasuke?" his eyes closed and the soft hold on his hand released he was back to sleep just like that.

Sasuke was urged to let him rest. He wanted to stay by his side. But that was wishful thinking. Visits were no more than a few minutes per day.

Another two weeks passed before he was moved from the intensive care unit. He could breathe more efficiently again. He could also remain awake more than a couple of minutes. Though now his heart was suffering too much.

He would have been fine if it weren't for Deidara's actions. Ironically, he might end up needing that heart after all. A whole month's stay in the hospital felt like two days to Naruto but to everyone else it felt like an eternity.

"Usuratonkachi," Sasuke announced his presence. Sakura was already there by his side. Seemingly in a happy mood, she was knitting, a habit she picked up from Tsunade during her stay with them.