Evolution of the Daleks

"The humans will become like me. Prepare them for hybridisation," Sec demanded.

Kaya flinched when her arms were grabbed by two pigmen. She had been watching the Doctor sneaking away until he was hiding behind some equipment.

Martha was grabbed as well "Leave me alone. Don't you dare."

All of a sudden music started playing from the side "What's that sound?" Sec demanded, looking around in confusion.

"Ah, well," the Doctor popped up from behind a desk "Now, that would be me." He placed the radio down by a Bunsen burner, strolling closer to Dalek Sec, keeping in front of Kaya instinctively. He really had to find out what that bond was. It was driving him nuts and the fact that the Tardis was on Kaya's side already was mildly infuriating. Not that he didn't enjoy the challenge of finding out but... Daleks. Maybe he should focus on them instead of his own problems "Hello. Surprise. Boo. Et cetera."

Dalek Sec narrowed his eyes on the man "Doctor," he greeted.

"How did you end up in 1930?" the Doctor questioned curiously.

"Emergency temporal shift," Dalek Sec replied with a shrug.

The Doctor raised his eyebrows in slight amusement "Oh, that must have roasted up your power cells, huh?" He shook his head in mock disappointment "Time was, four Daleks could have conquered the world but instead, you're sulking away, hidden in the dark, experimenting. All of which results in you."

Sec's eyes blazed "I am a Dalek in human form."

"What does it feel like?" the Doctor demanded "You can talk to me, Dalek Sec. It is Dalek Sec, isn't it? That's your name? You've got a name and a mind of your own. Tell me what you're thinking right now."

Sec was quiet for a moment "I feel... humanity."

"Good," the Doctor nodded "That's good."

"I feel everything we wanted from mankind," the Dalek continued "Which is ambition, hatred, aggression and war. Such a genius for war."

The Doctor froze, shaking his head "No, that's not what humanity means."

"I think it does," Sec disagreed "At heart, this species is so very Dalek."

"Alright," the Doctor sighed, knowing there was no arguing with him right now "So what have you achieved then, with this Final Experiment, eh? Nothing. Because I can show you what you're missing with this thing." He held up the radio "A simple little radio."

"What is the purpose of that device?" one of the other Daleks demanded.

The Doctor rolled his eyes "Well, exactly. It plays music. What's the point of that? Oh, with music, you can dance to it, sing with it, fall in love to it." He paused for a moment "Unless you're a Dalek of course. Then it's all just noise." The Doctor aimed his sonic screwdriver at the little radio, causing it to emit a shriek that not only hurt Dalek Sec and the pigmen but Kaya as well "Run." The prisoners escaped with the Doctor following. He was pulling Kaya along as she stumbled more than ran.

"Protect the Hybrid," the Daleks chorused, forming a circle around Sec "Protect. Protect. Protect."

"Come on," the Doctor called out over the hurried footsteps "Move, move, move, move." He lead the group to where Tallulah was standing, looking lost "And you, Tallulah. Run!"

Tallulah looked at all of them "What's happened to Laszlo?" Martha sighed, dragging Tallulah along as the Doctor lead all the others to the ladder.

"Come on," he muttered, his eyes darting around the corridors, making sure that none of the Daleks or pigmen were coming "Everyone up. Come on."

Back in Hooverville, the Doctor, Martha and Kaya joined Solomon in front of his tent "These Daleks," Solomon spoke up, pacing "They sound like the stuff of nightmares. And they want to breed?"