Acceptance

"Every pack across the country holds trials for wolves when they come of age, which would be a year after their first change. First changes happen at puberty. The year long waiting period gives parents and mentors time to train the new wolves, inform them about what to expect during the trials, and allows them to adjust to their new instincts and senses. Here is where you might find yourself at a disadvantage. We're going to have to put you through the crash course."

"Soooo the trials allow you to become pack members? What if you fail? Do they kick you out on your wolfy butt?" I tried to reign in the sarcasm which was my go to defense mechanism.

"Kane hasn't been very forthcoming with his information so let me make something clear. Had you been attacked basically anywhere else in the United States you would have been left for dead. The rogues that attacked you would have been dealt with, but no true effort would have been put forth by the other Alphas to save you. Kane is... unique. If the other Alphas find out that Kane has made a female rogue they will call for a convening of the Council and they will vote that you be killed. For that reason, among probably fifty others, it is very important that you become a member of the pack and take the vows." Mia's face was very serious and I tried to tell myself to take seriously the gravity of the situation.

"Okay become member or be killed. Got it." I never listened to myself. Mia however, apparently used to me by now continued without pause.

"If a wolf in another pack fails the trails they are put to death on the basis that they are not strong enough to be a member of the pack. Kane, after much fighting, quietly put a stop to that in our pack. If a wolf fails the trails here they will not be put to death, but instead exiled. They have no right to call for the aid of the pack and cannot set foot on pack land. BUT Kane allows pack members to stay in touch with their families and the rogues are smart enough to realize that while the pack might not come to an exiled members aid they will seek swift revenge for their death. For you though Cassie failure would most certainly mean death."

"So no pressure or anything. What are the trails? Do I have to run a minute mile and learn the secret handshake?"

"Cassie, I know this is how you cope but give me some sign you're taking this seriously. At least mostly." I sighed but inclined my head for her to continue. "Another way that Kane does his best to help the members of his pack complete the trails is by tailoring them to each member's strengths. They're all the same in general but say if we had a wolf that was fast but small Kane might have them race our biggest pack member through the thickest part of the forest, allowing the younger wolf the advantage. Many of the pack realize exactly what Kane is doing, but these potential new members are family and none have called him on it. For you though they will not allow Kane to tailor the trials in your favor so he will have to be more subtle to play on your strengths."

"Not to put a wrench in the plans here, but do I uh, have any strengths? I mean I didn't even get the complementary year after puberty to adjust, and I've only been able to change once, in a time of great distress I might add, who even knows if I could do it again!?"

"Yes, well here is what we do have in our favor. You are a rogue and as such will be expected to heal much slower than a born wolf. If I am right I don't expect that to be the case, so we might just draw your healing time out a bit so you'll have more time to prepare. Also, no one besides Kane and myself know how quickly you were able to change, which we should keep hidden as well. Our best course of action will most likely be to train you quietly after you heal, but before you are presented to the pack as a potential new member."

"How am I supposed to train in secret? Isn't it difficult to keep a secret with a bunch of nosey wolves hanging around?"

"I'm thinking that everyone will expect Kane to get some answers from you, and if that takes a few hours a day down in the soundproof basement after which you come up looking drained and exhausted, well who would question that."