Caged

"Oh God... This is a cult isn't it. I'm going to get sacrificed in some weird moon ritual aren't I? Oh my God. Oh my God, Aidan is going to be so upset!"

"Who the fuck is Aidan!?"

"What?"

"Never mind, no this is not a cult. Will you quit freaking out? You're going to hyperventilate."

I realized my breathing had become increasingly sporadic and I struggled to slow it down. A panic attack was really the last thing I needed.

"Well then what the hell is going on!?"

"I've never really had to explain this to an outsider before... I'm not quite sure how to begin," Kane told me.

He did look hesitant, which I bet rarely happened. I had never in my life met someone so used to being in charge.

"Well lets start with why I'm here."

"Right, you were bitten, and you were going to die... so I..." he paused, pinching the bridge of his nose in irritation.

"So you what?"

"I tried to save you, but I don't know if I have yet."

"My neck is pretty healed up? So you did save me from dying," I said confused.

Clearly if I was running around seducing kidnappers and attempting ridiculous escape plans I was in pretty good shape.

"I might have just made it worse actually," he said looking angry, "Sierra was right we should have left you there."

The last part was said more to himself than me. That Sierra chick was such a bitch.

"I actually like being alive. So even if you did kidnap me I'm thankful for that."

And here I was reassuring my damn kidnapper.

"You won't be for long," he replied cryptically. Oh God they were going to kill me.

"Either spit it out or just let me leave already!"

"Do you believe in Lycans?"

Lycans? The word sounded familiar and then I remembered my last romance novel had been about werewolves.

"You mean werewolves?" I asked.

I didn't get the joke yet, but I was hoping it would lead to some actual answers.

"Yes werewolves. Though Lycans is a better word. You seem to have attracted some of them Cassie. That night you got stabbed and then a few days ago in the park. I can only assume the Rogue came back to finish the job."

So at this point I was thinking my cult theory was better than some nut jobs who thought werewolves were real.

"Riiiiiight. Werewolves huh? I'll admit those dogs were big but- wait, how do you know I was attacked before?"

"Who do you think brought you to the hospital?"

So was this guy stalking me? All I was getting were more questions and no answers. I really hoped Aidan would hurry up and find me.

"Okay so werewolves... Well now that they're gone I can go home right?"

I was going to try playing along, maybe that would work.

"No Cassie, you can't. You were bitten by a Rogue twice, but that was okay," I was thinking his definition of 'okay' needed a little work but I didn't interrupt, "While Rogue's carry the Lycan chromosome, it is too weak to cause mutations in a human host. The chromosome will be in the bite, and it normally will cause faster healing, but it won't actually cause a change in the DNA of the victim. Only someone bitten by a born Wolf, who carries a stronger version of the chromosome, can change. When we finally got to you that morning you had already lost too much blood. The wound in your neck was bad. I'm a born Lycan, it was my fault the Rogue bit you and so I did the only thing I could. I bit you."