Nightmares

"Mia they're going to hear us!" I whisper shouted at her.

After Kane had left to go meet with Sierra Mia had given me a sly look and gotten up to follow. Why I was crouched down outside his office door like a little kid listening in on their parents with her I didn't know.

"I can't even hear anything," I grumbled.

Mia hushed me with her eyes and pressed her ear back to the door. All of a sudden she shot me a panicked look and grabbed my arm pulling me along behind her. We slipped into the library right as I heard Kane's office door open.

"How could you even hear anything!?" I asked in exasperation.

"Because I am a full werewolf. Until you actually complete a change your hearing will be better, but nothing compared to what the rest of us hear. Same goes for sight, smell, strength."

"Well why were we eavesdropping anyways?"

"Alright, Cassie. I don't know you and I have no reason to trust you. I know this is going to be hard on you, dealing with your life turning upside down like this, and I want to be your friend and help you through it, so here is my leap of faith. Something is going on with Sierra."

I looked at Mia quizzically not having expected that.

"She's been acting strange. And I mean stranger than normal, and she has been wearing a lot of perfume. I don't know what I'm trying to say. Honestly I just feel like something is off."

"Well wouldn't Kane know if something was going on?"

"Kane is a good Alpha and that means that he trusts his pack."

"So you're telling me that he just implicitly trusts everyone of you guys?"

"Kane has worked hard to make this pack more than just a hierarchy of wolves, but an actual family. And while that has made most of us loyal to him to a fault it doesn't mean that everyone is."

"But wouldn't Sierra of all people be loyal? Isn't she basically in love with him?"

I didn't know enough about all this pack structure stuff to really understand what was going on, but I did know something about bitches. It seemed to me that Sierra wanted Kane pretty damn badly.

"I have never been able to tell if Sierra is in love with Kane or his position. I don't know if she wants the man, or the power."

"I don't know how many times I've said or thought this already, but one more can't hurt. What a bitch."

"Who is a bitch?" Kane asked from the doorway scaring the shit out of me, again, for the second time today. 

"That's it, we're getting you a damn bell!"

"Kane, in all my life you have never tried to hang out with me so much. We get it, you wanna be around Cassie, get over yourself."

Mia's statement had me fighting a blush, but Kane sure put me in my place with his next words.

"Look Mia, we all don't trust her as much as you do."

Kane always knew what to say to piss me off. I wasn't sure what I had done to be untrustworthy. Hell, I had kept my damn mouth shut when I thought he had kidnapped me. I didn't waste my breath, just stomped past him and out the door.

"Kane, what is wrong with you!?"

"I don't know Mia, I don't know what I'm doing."

Well that was for damn sure. I kept my cool all the way to my room. Passing a few people on my way, but not stopping for a meet and greet. When I walked into the bedroom I slammed the door. Plaster rained down around the door jam and I balled my fists in frustration.