Six

My heart pounded out of my chest. What the fuck were they doing to me?

The cold, hard metal encases my limbs and my body goes into overload. The tingles cease me, paralyzing me so I don’t make a single move in fear of the pain the tingles will send. They were like electricity at first-uncontrollable and painful.

“Do you understand how serious we are?” the woman questions, her dark eyes probing mine as I stare into her ghostly skin.

I don’t nod-the frenzy was still there, there wasn’t any way my body would calm down. I would be paralyzed until my fears faded.

The woman’s lips set into a line but she continues on,

“Where were you this year on November 26th at 8pm?

I stared at this woman, why the hell was she asking me this?

This wasn’t what I had expected.

I knew an incredulous expression was splayed across my face, but I couldn’t contain my surprise.

“Where were you?” she questioned once again, resting her arms on the table, taking a dominant stance.

“Um, in my room,” I answered honestly, too caught up in what this had to do with anything.

“Who was there with you?”

I saw myself splayed on the rug, books encircling me.

“No one was there with me.”

“Did anyone see you in your dorm?”

“No.”

“Did you stop by and see someone at any of these times?”

“No.”

She fired countless questions, one after the other, all having to do with that day. An interrogation. That’s what this was.

And then she asked about the next day, and the next. I told her my schedule. I had nothing to hide, but I knew I didn’t want to give any incriminating evidence. The problem was, I didn’t know what any of this was about.

“And the 30th of November, where were you?”

Then it all snapped into place. The disappearances of those two girls.

“I didn’t know those girls,” it slipped out before I could feed it back into my mouth.

She continued on with her questions, ignoring my comment.