four

Four

The embalmed crest was like any other: encrusting form of a shield separated into four quadrants, each quadrant filled with a certain object. Each object meant to prevail prominently against its backgrounds, in truth, the design was chaotic and poorly made. But that was how it was supposed to be-typical, unsuspecting, deceiving. Like any other crest.

I had seen it only a few times in my life. Once when I rumbled through my father’s library, a youngling unconcerned with the odd marking. Once when I retrieved the mail, the crest so small it had been barely visible-but then again, that was the point. Once last year,

It had become a universal, en trusting sign. Yet, I did not trust it.

There was a cold shock running through my body, so I set the letter aside and take placement on my bed.

I stared at it across the room, my eyes unnervingly held to the thin paper. The one paper that had brought so much weight on me in the past few moments.

Over several years I had trained myself to place aside my feelings to allow a pool of water to drown them out-my own serenity. I was skilled at the action. As I sat forcing my airways to constrict so my heart would slow, I questioned my abilities. More than anything it was unnerving how tis single invitation could stir such an emotional response in me.

How the letter even reached me was a dreadful topic I didn’t even want to dig into; my mind roamed with the idea.

The deep of the night was the only time it was unleashed. Sleep was the only time emotions were able to pull me under. But I had been so good lately, so good I became comfortable with sleeping. My body stiffens; there wasn’t a way I could comfortably sleep for months now. Someone knew. Freshman year, the first few months was bad. There were too many accidents. Too many things disappearing. I thought my windows were closed though, that no one could see in, no one would notice.

But this was the Supernatural’s world. They had records on everyone, everything. They would know I am the daughter of
Augustus de Aurilla. Of course they did. I should be grateful that I was lucky enough to stay away for this long.

Their world was something I wished to stay parted form for as long as I could muster. Anything with this seal though, it was a command. A direct summons. I had to go.

I stare at the torn envelope lying on the floor.

I close my eyes, gripping the mattress.

I didn’t want to do this.

<><><> 

The news of the disappearances had pattered off enough to allow a return to classes a few days later. I had finished my paper last night.