Cancer Survivor Stories -Sameena: A Tongue Cancer Survivor

Background & Early Signs

Sameena is a 32-year-old, mother of 5 children. She has fought a successful battle against advanced oral(mouth) cancer, enduring complex treatment consisting of Radical Surgery followed by Chemo radiotherapy. She is now free of cancer and back to her normal life.

Sameena had been a tobacco user (she consumed 'Gutka') for close to 15 years, consuming it intermittently without her family's knowledge. In November 2018 she developed a blister in her mouth. It was irritating her, but she thought it would go away. A week passed. Then two. And it didn't. She saw some Doctors locally who gave her symptomatic medicines, but the blister didn't heal.

So, she took matters into her own hands and massaged it vigorously causing it to burst. It broke up into a thousand of fragments inside her mouth and spread in her mouth and throat and she started experiencing pain.

Till that time, she had not spoken about it to her husband. But when the problem spread and she was in pain and discomfort, she told her husband. They visited a government hospital in Delhi who took a skin swab from the affected area and did a biopsy. The results of the tests were not good. Sameena was told that she had oral cancer. Life stopped that day for Sameena and her family.

Learn more about Sameena's story and how she survived cancer with the help of Dr. Mandeep S Malhotra, Director and leading Head & Neck and Breast Oncologist at the CK Birla Hospital for Women, best cancer hospital in Gurgaon.

The , CK Birla Hospital for Women Gurgaon is a multi-speciality hospital focused on, but not restricted to women's health. It is part of the $1.8 billion diversified CK Birla Group. The hospital based on international standards and protocols has a strong focus on clinical quality and care. The hospital's core clinical specialities include obstetrics & gynaecology, neonatology & paediatrics (including paediatric orthopaedics, ophthalmology, surgery and developmental paediatrics), fertility, fetal medicine, the breast centre (including screening & genomics, breast surgery, conservation & reconstruction and rehabilitation & counselling), oncology (head & neck, gynae & GI onco surgery, chemotherapy), advanced surgical sciences (including laparoscopic, cancer, gastrointestinal and bariatric surgery), orthopaedics, urology, aesthetics & plastic surgery, dermatology, internal medicine, pain management, diagnostics and physiotherapy.