Chapter Three: Duties to the Republic

AHSOKA TANO

 “So, are you giving your speech right away?” Ahsoka asked Lux.

 “No,” he replied. “I have a two weeks to unpack and prepare. I guess that this favor was given out of sympathy for what happened on Onderon, but I still have to be present in the Senate during that time. So I have both more time and less time on my hands.”

At the mention of the planetary-wide attack on Onderon, Ahsoka felt a dull ache in the area of her wound, which then got a little too painful for her liking.

“Ouch!” she said softly, massaging it a little. Lux expressed concern, but she smiled at him in a way that conveyed reassurance.

Other than a casual word exchanged every now and then, they were quiet for the rest of the journey. Then, as the transport landed, he spoke to her quietly.

“Ahsoka, I need to tell you something. I probably won’t be as open with you as I usually am, just for the sake of the crowd. I don’t want to get any stares from the other Senators for my actions, but you know how I feel about you.” He kissed her quickly, but sweetly. “All right?”

“It’s fine, I get it – Senator,” she replied half-jokingly, and then put her hood back on. Then they formally descended from the craft, with Lux in front and Ahsoka walking a few steps behind him.

A real Senator’s welcome was waiting for them. Several Jedi Knights – including Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda – were amongst the small group of politicians that came to greet their coworker. Senators Padmé Amidala and Bail Organa were also present.

“Welcome, Senator Bonteri. We’re sorry to hear of what you have been through recently,” said Bail.

“Thank you, Senator Organa. I am still amazed myself that I managed to escape capture without any injury.”

After a few words of sympathy from the Senators such as these, Ahsoka became conscious of Master Yoda intently gazing at her. The wise old Master then looked over at Windu, who nodded. They clearly knew her true identity, but neither of them said anything to voice it.

The party moved inside. As they walked, Ahsoka felt Lux reach out and discreetly slip an arm around her waist and squeeze gently, as if to keep her going. Then he let go, and she felt a little cooler when he was gone. After over six months of being open about the way we feel with each other, this is going to be hard, she thought. But regardless, she took a deep breath and kept moving.