11. Confrontations

Start from the beginning

Anithisan was quiet for a few minutes. "I'm sorry, my prince. I cannot help you." She said, sadly.

"I know." Merlin said, quietly.

"I wish there was something I could do." Anithisan said.

"There isn't anything you can do." Merlin said, making eye contact with his dragon, giving a weak smile. "It's not your fault."

"No. It is not yours, either." She said sternly. "Your powers are still developing. Getting stronger, day by day-"

"Yes, I'm aware of that, thank you." Merlin snapped. Then, realising he snapped at his dragon, apologised. "I'm sorry, Anithisan. I'm just tired. I didn't mean to snap at you. I didn't mea-"

"Merlin." Anithisan cut him off, sharply. Merlin stopped his rambling, and looked at Anithisan. "I know you are tired, stressed and angry at what your uncle did,"--Merlin's eyes darkened at the mention of his uncle--"but you must calm down. If not, your magic will be out of control."

"You're right." Merlin said, nodding. "I will try to."

"There is no trying Merlin. Only doing." Anithisan said, wisely. Merlin rolled his eyes.

"Now you're sounding like Kilgharrah." Merlin said with mock annoyance.

"That is because, young prince, he is right." Anithisan said. After a moment, Anithisan peered at him. "Perhaps a ride, will lift your spirits." Merlin beamed at her.

"I would like that." Merlin loves riding dragons. He rode Kilgharrah a couple of times, but he always said 'I am not a horse, Merlin.' Now, though, Merlin can ride his own dragon. Anithisan lowered herself, and Merlin mounted her. When Merlin was secure enough on her back, Anithisan flew off, out of the hole in the ceiling, into the sky.

***

Arthur left his temporary chambers, to go and do some training. He saw Leon and Elyan talking in a corner, Gwaine and Lancelot laughing with Ellis, Lewis, James and Prince Christian and Mordred and Percival talking with Sir Robert. But no Merlin. Where is that idiot? He caught Guinevere's eyes and she smiled. Gwen was helping the servants around the hideout bringing everyone breakfast and stuff. Where is Merlin? Arthur decided to do some training so he went into the right hand staircase. Once he was there, he saw a few knights throwing knives, some with maces, and some with swords. Arthur caught sight of the sorcerers training, and tensed at the magic being used. Arthur decided not to train after all, as he knows no one in here and is uncomfortable training with sorcerers about. Arthur went back down the stairs and a saw there was no sign of Merlin. Where is he? Arthur was getting annoyed now. Also a little worried. Not that he would admit that. Merlin could be hurt, and they were in a foreign place with sorcerers and all sorts. Merlin could have gotten lost.

Arthur went up to Leon and Elyan, who were talking amongst themselves, to ask them if they had seen Merlin anywhere. "Have you seen Merlin anywhere?" Arthur asked them.

"No, sire. We haven't." Leon answered. "Not since yesterday."

"If you see him, let me know immediately." Arthur said, walking off to ask someone else. Maybe the lazy sod is just sleeping in. Arthur rolled his eyes. Idiot. He's probably fine, and getting Arthur's breakfast. Yes, that's it. No need to worry at all.

An hour later, there was still no sign of Merlin. Just when Arthur was getting worried, Merlin came out of the left hand staircase, beaming like an idiot. Arthur can't remember the last time he had seen Merlin so happy. There was a lightness in the way he walked, like a heavy burden had just been lifted off his shoulders. Arthur couldn't fathom why. He strode up to Prince Christian, Gwaine, Lancelot, James, Lewis and Ellis. Arthur noticed that Merlin and the Knights of Nelthon have become close. Something that struck Arthur as odd. Why would knights--knights they barely know, at that--become close with Merlin? Merlin is a servant. He's not of nobility. He has a lower status than them. Yet they welcome him as an equal. Even Christian, and he's a prince, let alone, a knight. Nelthon is a lot different to Camelot. Then something struck Arthur. Merlin came out of the left hand staircase. Not the right. 'Do not go up the left.' Is what Christian said, yesterday. If the left hand staircase is forbidden, then why did Merlin go up there? But Arthur, is going to find out.