Chapter two

Mokunfayo Badmus:

I already knew the day was going to be a long one before.

Waking up to the annoying squeals of Bisi didn't only validate that, it was also a pointer that the day was going to be endlessly frustrating.

"Happy anniversary sister mi, rise and shine!!!"

What did I just say?

She bounced on my bed like an excited kid that got a Christmas present from Santa. Only that it wasn't Christmas yet and Bisi wasn't a kid. An audible groan escaped my lips.

"Is that why you came to wake me up this early?"

"I have to prepare you for your dinner date," she blinked innocently and I let out an even louder groan before shooting her a black look.

"Seriously Bisi it is just six AM, do you not understand the concept DINNER anymore eh?"

She rolled her eyes and shrugged nonchalantly like she hadn't just disturbed my sleep that had barely just began over a useless anniversary date with some bozo I didn't care about.

Deep breaths Mokun. Deep breaths.

If looks could kill, Bisi would have dropped dead to the pool of her own blood due to the daggers I was currently shooting her way.

I furiously shooed her out of my room and returned to my bed in hopes that I would be able to catch the next bus to lala land. I ended up staring at blankly at the white ceiling, deep in thoughts. Serious thought about Richard.

My relationship with him had lingered on for too long. Today made it two years and I sincerely couldn't help my worry.

Richard was sweet caring and understanding to a fault, but I didn't feel anything for him. He was just but a trophy to show Cordelia the whore that I could get a man if I wanted to.

When she challenged me, in the presence of a full house, two years ago to get man if I was sure I wasn't gay, I'd said yes to Richard's proposal without a second thought and brought him home, but like a leech, he hung on and I hadn't been able to shake him off for the past twenty-four months.

It wasn't that he wasn't good looking or rich or morally upright, in fact, he was the full package. I didn't just feel anything for him. I wasn't good enough for him.

I had and would only fill his life with bitterness in return for his love.

All these weren't exactly my reasons for the serious thoughts. I was worried because lately, he'd been initiating discussions about marriage and how it was all that was left to complete him and even though he noticed my passiveness about the topic, he didn't stop talking about it.

It was possible that a proposal would pop up one day and I wouldn't be able to say yes. Even though I didn't love him, I wouldn't allow that blemish on his reputation.

So I decided, as I got out of the bed to prepare for the meeting I was to attend with my annoying boss on the Saturday morning, that I was going to put an end to the relationship. For good this time.