Chapter 22: Lin's Recognition

I washed my hands quickly and dried them thoroughly on the purple towel by the sink. Jade had actually given me a book, I was so used to her being callused and cold towards me. Maybe now we could be friends, I sure could use some kinder friends. I carefully slipped out of the bathroom and started down the hallway. A girl who was about a head shorter than me greeted me with a kind smile and a slight wave.

"Hi I'm Bailey, Jade's big sister." She whispered kindly. I smile waving back.
"I'm Lin." I introduce and her eyes glisten with mirth.
"Oh I know." She whispered kindly before she urged me to follow her back towards the livingroom.

I couldn't recall but Jade's dark haired mom looked so familiar but I couldn't place where I'd seen her from.
"Oh Jade can I have a basic description on what the book's about?" I ask hopefully. Jade gives her parents a look before she turns to me.

"Uh it's about a girl who communicates through her dreams, fights demons, and ghosts." She murmured avoiding eye contact with me. Usually that was my brother's cup of tea, dark brooding type stuff. The first seven years of my life had been hell enough that I usually steered clear of horror genre.

"On a scale of haunted mansion to Annabelle how scary is this book?" I question as she hands it back to me. She does that adorable gesture where she tilts her head to the side and gives me a intrigued look.
"I'd say it's about somewhere between the visit and IT." She whispered with a cocky smirk.

I glanced down at the cover, there was a girl sneering back at me. Hopefully I didn't regret this later.

"So Lin how do you know our Jade?" The dark haired woman questioned and Jade glared at her mom bitterly

"So Lin how do you know our Jade?" The dark haired woman questioned and Jade glared at her mom bitterly. I smiled politely at them.
"Well we've been in each others classes since like eighth grade, and now we're in the literature club together." I explain a bit confused when Jade facepalms.

"Jade you're in a literature club?" Bailey asked brightly and Jade groaned, so I guess she hadn't told her family yet whoops.
"Ah sorry Jade I assumed they knew." I whisper putting my face in my hands.

"Bunny why didn't you tell us?" Her red headed mom asked and my heart sped up at the adorable nickname.
"Mama!" Jade complained going red as she puffed out her cheeks in a pout.
"Bunny?" I question intrigued by why they called the edgy Jade bunny.

"Ooh when she was two," she started and Jade groaned loudly.
"Mom no!" She complained but I moved to sit in the armchair close to the red eyed woman.
"When she was two, Jade was a bunny for Halloween, Bailey was a magician. She loved that bunny suit a lot, she wore it for weeks after halloween. We just called her bunny because that's what she insisted upon. It just stuck." Jade's mom explained and to poor Jade's horror her red haired mom stood from the couch.

"I believe we have a picture of her in the costume. " she reasoned flipping open her wallet she handed me a photograph.

 " she reasoned flipping open her wallet she handed me a photograph