The problem was, I couldn’t tell him the whole story, without revealing the nature of Jacob’s job. I don’t want to start off our marriage with any lies, and me keeping this knowledge from him was already enough, but I had promised Jacob I wouldn’t tell. It was only a matter of time before Zach asked me again and he would demand an answer this time, for sure. He had a right to know, since technically, he was my husband. If the roles were reversed, I probably would not have been half as patient as Zach. 

I sighed and pulled out my phone to call Jacob. He’d have to tell him first, only then could I properly talk to Zach. At the third ring, he picked up. 

“Well if it isn’t my loser sister-in-law,” Jacob quipped. 

I laughed. “You still annoyed I never sided with you?”

“No - guys don’t hold grudges, unlike you girls. You’re just really a loser.” 

I scoffed. “What would you know about girls, huh?” When he didn’t automatically answer, I knew I had put him in an uncomfortable position. “Ha! Don’t worry Jacob, Auntie Heba will be working on you next, no doubt.” 

I heard him grumble incoherently. “Whatever.” 

“Anyways, I need to talk to you.” 

“Duh,” he dryly responded. This is where I felt like strangling him. 

“Poor Zach - speaking of…last night Zach asked me why I was sneaking out and -,” 

“And you want me to tell him about my job,” Jacob finished smartly.

“Well, yes.” I heard him sigh on the other end of the line. “Please, please, please Jacob. I really don’t want to lie to him or make up any excuses. It’s time you told him.” 

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Can’t you just like, tell him for me?” I could hear the pleading in his voice. 

I almost laughed. “No Jacob, it would be better if he heard it from you first,” I stated sternly. 

He exhaled loudly and I imagined him wiping a hand down his face, hazel eyes tired. “OK, fine.”

“Thank you! Can you tell him tonight please?” 

“Look at you, all filled with demands. I’ll do it, only because you’re like my sister.” 

I halted in my speech. It was so unlike Jacob to say something even remotely cheesy. Wait till I tell Zach this! “You’re one and only! Let me know how it goes and thanks again.” 

“No problems, salam.” 

“Salam,” I finished, and ended the call.

I could feel some pain starting up again, so I downed two painkillers and next thing I knew, I had fallen asleep on the couch. 

****

I woke up to the sound of joyous squealing. Yawning, I got up and leaned back on my arms, observing my father and Adam. Adam was on the floor, rolling around and trying to escape dad’s hands as he tickled him mercilessly. I lay back down and just watched them with a small smile on my face.

“That’s enough,” mum commanded playfully. “We don’t want him having a little accident.” I chuckled audibly, remembering all too well the amount of times Adam had peed his pants when being tickled by one of us. 

“Looky here, the ’aroos is awake,” dad smiled and walked over to kiss my forehead. I frowned. 

“I’m not a bride yet.” Dad grinned at my annoyed expression and crossed his arms.