Cake and Catastrophe

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” Martin Luther King

Dedicated to @SmilingHearts because she has a heart of gold and will always manage to put a smile on your face. An awesome supporter ❤

Chapter 11 - Cake and Catastrophe  

“WAKEE UPP!”

Huh? I groaned and shifted from my comfortable position, squinting my eyes open just a tad. Who dared disturb my beautiful slumber?

Before I could really get angry, I saw a flying Noah belly flop on top of me and as if on cue, the twins, Deana and even Adam all came running in, jumping onto Noah.

“Guys… I - I can’t breathe,” I choked out. It felt like my ribs were closing in on my lungs. 

“Wakey wakey!” Noah said, slapping both my cheeks. I wanted to tell him that clearly, I was awake, but couldn’t get out another word. Deana and Adam were squealing and giggling and the twins were just sitting atop Noah’s back smiling while he laughed evilly.  

“You ready guys?” Noah asked, making sure their attention was on me. What were these idiots doing, seriously. I just want sleep, is that too much to ask for?!

After they all nodded a ‘yes’, they began singing, all of them in sync.  

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, you smell like a monkey aaanndd you look like one too!” Noah, being the complete asswipe he was decided to scream the whole thing in my ear and all my other oh-so-beautiful siblings were jumping up and down on my bed.  

Despite the lack of oxygen and the headache that would probably form now, no thanks to Noah, I smiled. I had completely forgotten it was my birthday today what with exam week. I had been too busy studying and completing assessments, but thankfully I had finished my last exam yesterday. 

My family never forgot each others birthdays but as we grew older it became less and less significant. Of course for the kids they always got super excited at the prospect of their birthday but for me and Noah especially, it was nothing that special anymore. He still liked to annoy me though.

I laughed at all of them and then shoved his face away from me. 

“Can you get off me now you fat gorilla.” He mocked a hurt expression.

“Is this what I get after planning such a beautiful awakening on your birthday?” he stated sarcastically.

“I wouldn’t exactly call it beautiful. But seriously thanks.” I gave him a genuine smile and kissed him on the cheek before using my powerful legs to push him off of me. He fell off the side of the bed and finally I could breathe. 

“Oh god. Air has never tasted so good before.” I made a point to breathe in loudly, as if my life depended on it.  

Noah stood up and wiped his cheek exaggeratedly. “Stop being a drama queen. And don’t ever kiss me on the cheek again.”

“I think I need acid to get rid of your bacteria,” he stated, a frown on his face. 

I just laughed at how much of a child he was being. “Who’s being a drama queen now?” He mumbled a ‘whatever’ before walking out of my room.

“Min Min! Is it my birthday too?” Adam asked, jumping onto my lap. His eyes were wide and hopeful, as if it would be the best thing in the world if it was. 

“Aww no it isn’t. Your birthday wasn’t too long ago remember? But guess what? You get to eat cake today!” At the mention of cake his smile broadened, before he began jumping up and down.