forty

James' was sat with his mother when his phone began to ring obnoxiously loudly, making the pair of them jump

At first, he planned to ignore it but after the phone had rung four times and Michelle had left two voicemail and texted him eleven times, he decided it must've been important.

James apologised to his mother, as he stood up and walked outside. The street was quiet and peaceful, due to most people being inside their warm and cosy homes.

"Finally" Michelle sighed

"Michelle, i'm trying to enjoy my dinner" James groaned "If you just want me to come out then forget it"

"James" Michelle said "It's Esme, I need your help"

As soon as that sentence left Michelle's lips, James' whole body became solid as his throat went dry.

Once Michelle had given James the directions of where they were, he walked back into the kitchen where his mum was washing dishes, grabbing his jacket from the back of one of the chairs.

"I need to go out" James said "Esme needs me"

"Esme?" Her mum questioned "Who's that?"

"She's a girl" James answered blankly

"Just a girl?" His mother raised an eyebrow

"No" James shook his head "She's someone really important to me"

Kathy's eyes softened as she stepped towards him, grabbing her car keys from the small dish tray that sat in the middle of the table,

He followed her out of the house and into her car, sitting in the passenger seat anxiously as he stared out the window, muttering directions to his mother as she nodded.

Eventually, they reached the bottom of the hill and James instructed for his mother to stop the car. He wanted to get some air, clear his head, before he spoke to Esme.

His mother drove away, leaving James to walk up the small hill. His head was filled with anxiety, his hands becoming numb due to the coldness of the air.

Eventually, James' eyes fell on Esme and Michelle, his heart dropping with worry as he forced his legs to move faster, his body breaking out into a run.

He crouched in front of Esme, staring at her tired eyes and chapped lips. She seemed to be broken, as if someone had physically destroyed her.

Michelle stepped away, leaving the two teenagers to have the space they deserved.

"What have you done?" James muttered under his breath

"I drank too much" Esme hicupped

"Fuck, Esme" James sighed

"I saw Ma doing it, I thought it would help me but it just made me feel even worse" Esme frowned.

James took off his jacket, slipping it over Esme's shoulders as he wrapped one of her arms around his neck, shouting for Michelle to grab another.