thirty five

Esme smiled softly, waking up and rolling over in her bed to stare at the crimson dress that hung on her wardrobe as she sighed

She hated that stupid dress.

Esme's eyes were drawn to the coral dress that hung next to it. It had a halterneck style, sleeveless and draped down to sway just above the ankle.

Esme had owned the peach dress for years, her grandma had given it to her before she passed away, a present to show how much she adored her and yet, the right occasion to wear it had never risen.

Esme bit her lip as she stood up, grabbing her white dressing gown from the hook on the back of the door and wrapped it around her body, covering her black shorts and plain yellow top.

She walked downstairs, careful not to make the stairs do their usual loud creak whenever a foot came in contact with it.

She stepped into the living room, her eyes immediately falling onto her mother and the bottle that had rolled onto the floor beside her, the liquid drying.

Esme grabbed a blanket, gently throwing it over her mother as she stared sadly at her, wishing that for once in her life, her mother would actually act like a mother, not like a stranger in her own home.

Esme snapped out of her daydream and flew back to reality as he feet sunk into the carpet, immediately becoming cold once they reached the hard kitchen floors as she reached the kitchen.

She walked over to the counter, reaching up as she got herself some cereal and grabbed the milk, mixing them together to make the perfect breakfast.

She sat down at the table, a glass of mango juice to the side of her bowl as she pulled her phone from the end of the table, noticing that she had a new message.

Nate: i'll be there at 7:30, can't wait x

Esme: sounds great, i'm excited x

She smiled to herself, sending the response and placing her phone back onto the side, determined not to contact anyone and just enjoy her day of getting ready.

-

The clock chimed 6 and Esme grinned, switching the TV off and walking upstairs into her bedroom with a small smile.

She switched on her radio, the pop tunes making her giddy and excited as she danced around her room, jumping on her bed in excitement.

She showered, washed her hair and made her way back into her bedroom, her hair wrapped in a towel and her body covered by the dressing gown she loved so much.

She glanced in the mirror, thanking whoever she could for the clear skin on the face that smiled back at her.

She began to do her makeup, her eyes a dusty brown, fading into a pale brown the closer it got to her nose. Her eyelids were grey, a soft grey, once that exaggerated the size of her orbs.