Chapter 21: Jade's Confusion

Start from the beginning

"Hmmm this sounds interesting..." she mutters to herself and I groan in irritation. Why'd my family have to be so annoying?
"Mooooom give me my book!" I whine when suddenly Dana laughed softly.

"Oooh who's Lin?" She questioned tauntingly and I turned seeing her unfolding the note Lin had passed me in second hour today. (I'd been using it as a bookmark(I should've known that would be a mistake)

"N-nobody!" I snap my face was heating up badly. I may or may not have read that letter excessively since I'd recieved it. I sure as heck did not want my family anywhere near it.

  I sure as heck did not want my family anywhere near it

My mom smiles taking the note from Dana. I feel like sleeping through the floorboards right now.
"I'd like to know who Lin is too?" She cooed teasingly and I look away irritably as my mama catches my eye.
"Alright that's enough torturing Jade." My mama teased taking the things from my mom and handed them to me. I clutched them close to my chest and glared at the floor bitterly.

"Baby I was just teasing, I haven't seen you invested in something in awhile." My mom whispered and I scowled starting for the stairs when my phone went off. "Plus it'd be so cute if you had a crush." My mom gushed and I scowled.

"I do not have a crush on Lin, she's just a girl from school!" I lie, as I avoid eye contact with them.

Moodily I slid the note and book under my arm and turned on my phone. I had two unread texts from Lin, speak of the devil.

Hi, so I know I said I could wait, but could I come over maybe? I just really need to be reading something.

I'm kind of like five minutes from your house, Heh sorry. Bernadette kind of told me your address the other day, hope that's okay...

My heart dropped to my shoes, Lin was coming here!?

I raced up the stairs dropping everything literally. My mom yelled up the stairs at me sounding so confused, but I ignored her going to my desk I began digging through what books I had.

Dream Thief, it was a scary one, but maybe Lin would like it, I heard the buzz of our gate and decided this would have to do. I tore from my room and jumped down the stairs.

"I got it!" I yelled hitting the open button, as I gasped for breath as I leaned against the wall by the door. Ugh this is why I didn't run!

A knock sounded on the door and I opened the door quickly. Lin wasn't in uniform. My brain kind of short circuited, she was wearing jeans and a long sleeved striped shirt. Her hair was in a thick braid and she flashed me a bright smile.

"Hi Jade, sorry if I'm intruding, I just got excited and I keep myself busy by reading, I didn't want to start another book right before you gave me yours." She giggled at her own explanation and I smiled slightly.
"Understood, here it is." I encourage holding the book out to her, Lin's eyes lit up as she took it from me holding it like it was some prized jewel or something than the musty book it was.

"Is this your favorite book?" She asked bouncing in place slightly. I shrug unable to stop my smile at her antics.
"I've read it like a dozen times, so yeah its my favorite. " I reason and she squeals.

"Great so then we're both exchanging our favorites! Oh have you read mine yet?" She questioned brightly and I nodded.
"I'm on chapter 3, sorry I read slow." I relent sheepishly as I rub the back of my neck embarrassed slightly, and she smiles making her dimples show.

"That's okay, I'm just glad you're actually reading it," then her smile drops slightly "None of my other friends would even give it a chance. " I reached my hand out to console her when the door opened widely behind me.

"Jade honey who's your friend? Are you going to invite her in?" My mom asked sounding hopeful and I rolled my eyes.
"Not while you guys are home." I deadpan and Lin giggles softly.

"Actually can I come in? I just chugged a whole code red mountain dew, I kind of have to pee." Lin whispers sheepishly and I groan of course she did.

"Okay, but I'm warning you my family is nuts." I whisper and she laughs softly.
"I don't mind, lead the way Oh hostess!" She exclaimed.

This was a disaster waiting to happen. She followed me towards the ground floor bathroom and stopped to smile at my family who was sitting in the living room.
"Hi it's nice to meet you, I'm Lin."
Yup total disaster I have no doubts about that .

To Be Continued...