Ch 2 : The guilt and escape

"Apologies aren't meant to change the past, they are meant to change the future."

-Kevin Hancock

He didn't mean it...

Hedidntmeanithedidntmeanithedidntmeanithedidntmeanit.

He didn't mean to punch Matt

He didn't mean to try and kill Tom

He didn't mean to launch the rocket.

He didn't mean to destroy the house.

He didn't mean to break Edd's trust.

...yet he did.

He sat on the hill and watched his frien- no....former friends get in the ambulance and drive away. He didn't show any emotion on his face even when Pau and Pat came to drive him away to base, no he didn't. Yet deep down he is drowning in guilt and falling farther in it.

He only meant to get the robot and fly away.

To get it while his friends weren't there. He didn't plan for them to come back early, and for him to become blind with power. As much as he disliked Tom he didn't hate him. It was just friendly rivalry. He punched Matt because he was filled with rage and wanted them to stop playing with his stuff. Edd's face is something that he wanted to forget. The face of hurt and utter betrayal.

No matter how many reasons and excuses he came up with to stop the guilt from gnawing and growing inside he knows that the damage has already been done and couldn't take it back even if he wanted to. He wants to make things right, he wants to fix his mistakes. He wants to fix it because they were the first people to welcome him. To not criticize his accent and question his interests. They let him join the group all those years ago. They didn't leave him and they let him pursue his dreams even if he lied about it. He wants to return the favor. He wants them back even if he was the one to push them away in the first place

The first thing to do was quit the army but it wont be easy. You see he can't just quit the army or else the leader will kill him as soon as the news reaches him or the soldiers outside will shoot him down on sight.

.......

Oh? You didn't know? Tord isn't the leader of the army. He is just a leader of a small squadron in the army consisting of Pau and Pat his friends in the army and Yuu and Yanov. He plans on secretly going out of the army. His group caught on his plan and agreed on joining him. They have nothing and just wanted a stable life after all. When you join the red army they twist their reason for the army making it that they are doing it for the better but in reality it's just for power and greed. That's how they got each one of them even Tord.

As 3 weeks went by and alot of planning on how to get out and what to do if they get out, they decided that they would put their plan in action... now or never. Tord helped with the construction of this specific base he was their best inventor, he made the giant robot afterall.

"12:00 am....." Tord whispered under his breath and went to wake up his group. He memorized the pattern of the guards and slipped by easily going one by one into each of their rooms. When they were all complete Pau went to the door leading to the outside of Yanov's room and peeked through the crack.

Yuu spoke up in a whisper "Well?". Pau stood up and whispered back "Nothin. No one's there." They took that as their que to get out until the alarm suddenly started.

The alarm for an attack.

The group looked at each other and nodded it may not be part of the plan but it wouldn't hurt to improvise plus it was a good opportunity. They all rushed back into each of their rooms and grabbed their guns and ran into the hallway meeting up to find soldiers fighting soldiers from the opposing army.

"Blue army." Pau muttered they ran and dodged a couple of bullets as the four tried to avoid killing anybody and just shot their leg hearing someone say "MY KNEE!! MY FAVORITE KNEE!!" As they ran, no need for additional trauma. Even if Tord killed before he respects their wishes.

When they finally got out of the base they were only met with a couple of tanks and more soldiers from the blue and their army fighting. They ran into a nearby bush being their base located in a forest and changed into a hoodie hiding it under their uniform, putting on the hood of it covering their faces and removing their nametags. Every soldier were distracted in the battle and in being so they slipped into the woods escaping.

"It wasn't supposed to be that easy." Yanov said panting as they were running. "Well just don't jinx it." Pat said chuckling softly.

Once they couldn't see the top of the base they decided they were far enough so they stopped to rest. Needing to rest and were getting tired all decided into making a small camp. They needed to head east if they wanted to get back into the city.

It was Quiet while all of them were working until someone broke the silence.

"Hey guys." Tord said speaking up " What?" Yuu responded. "CAMP you beLEAF we made it this far?" Tord joked earning groans from Pat and Yanov while Yuu chuckled and Pau snickered at the twos reaction.

Tord smirked satisfied with their reaction 'Edd would've loved that joke.' He thought. He wondered how they were and if they were okay. He knows once they see him no doubt that they will ask him questions or more like threaten him to leave but even so he wants to fix everything he broke and maybe just maybe everything would go back to normal.

Just like old times.

When they finished setting up camp they decided on doing shifts with Tord first. All agreeing to it the three went to sleep while Tord stayed awake to make sure nobody was going to murder them. Time went on and nothing happened it now being Pat's time it was about 5 am, Tord woke him up and told him it's now his turn. Pat slowly woke and got up to do his shift leaving Tord to go and rest.

Thinking of his friends his eyes showed new found determination. Tord slowly fell asleep.

1095 words