#33

Bella

"She's tracking us," Rosalie announced, glaring harshly at Laurent.

His face was unhappy. "I was afraid of that."

Alice danced to Jasper's side and whispered in his ear; her lips quivered with the speed of her silent speech. They flew up the stairs together. Edward watched them, and then moved quickly to Emmett's side. His dark eyes were intense and-- when they flickered unwillingly to my face-- furious.

"What will she do?" Carlisle asked Laurent in chilling tones.

"I'm sorry," he answered. "I was afraid, when your girl there defended her, that it would set her off."

"Can you stop her?"

Laurent shook his head. "Nothing stops Victoria when she gets started."

"We'll stop her," Emmett promised. There was no doubt in his tone.

"You can't bring her down. I've never seen anything like her in my three hundred years. She's absolutely lethal. That's why I joined her coven."

Her coven, I thought, of course. The show of leadership in the clearing was merely that, a show.

Laurent was shaking his head. He glanced at me, perplexed, and back to Carlisle. "Are you sure it's worth it?"

Rosalie deep growl filled the room; Laurent cringed back.

Carlisle looked gravely at Laurent. "I'm afraid you're going to have to make a choice."

Laurent understood. He deliberated for a moment. His eyes took in every face, and finally swept the bright room.

"I'm intrigued by the life you've created here. But I won't get in the middle of this. I bear none of you an enmity, but I won't go up against Victoria. I think I will head north-- to that clan in Denali." He hesitated. "Do not underestimate Victoria. She's got a brilliant mind and unparalleled senses. She's every bit as comfortable in the human world as you seem to be, and she won't come at you head on...I'm sorry for what's been unleashed here. Truly sorry." He bowed his head, but I saw him flicker another puzzled look at me.

"Go in peace," was Carlisle's formal answer.

Laurent took another long look around himself, and them he hurried out the door.

The silence lasted less than a second.

"How close?" Carlisle looked to Edward.

The boy sighed heavily. "About three miles out passed the river; she's circling around to meet up with James."

He then turned to Rosalie. "What's the plan?"

"We'll lead her off, while Jasper and Alice run Bella south."

"Then?"

Rosalie's tone was deadly. "As soon as Bella is clear, we hunt her."

"There's no other choice," he agreed, his face grim.

"I don't know why we're helping her," Edward said suddenly, finally speaking his thoughts. "What is she to us? Except a menace-- a danger you've chosen to inflict on all of us."

I didn't flinch at his harsh words.

"Ed..." Emmett murmured, putting one hand on hi shoulder. He shook it off.

Rosalie hissed softly at him, but turned to Esme. "Can you please change clothes with her?"

"Of course," she murmured.

Esme was at my side in half a heartbeat, reaching to pick me up but waited for my permission. When I nodded, she swung me up easily into her arms, and dashed up the stairs before I could blink.

"What are we doing?" I asked breathlessly as she saw me down in a dimly lit room somewhere off the second-story hall.

"Trying to confuse the smell," she explain, motioning me to take off my shirt. "It won't work for long but it'll help you get out." Esme quickly took off her own shirt and handed it to me.

I pulled her shirt over my head. and quickly stripped out of my pants. Esme's pants were a little smaller on me since I was taller than her, but there was no other choice. By the time I was done, she was already in my clothes. She pulled me back to the stairs, where Alice stood, a small leather bag in one hand.

It appeared that everything had been settled downstairs in our absence. Rosalie and Emmett were ready to leave, Emmett carrying a heavy-looking backpack over his shoulder. Carlisle handed something small to Esme before giving Alice the same thing; it was a tiny silver cell phone.

"Edward and Esme will be leading them away, Bella," he told me as he passed. I nodded, glancing at Edward. I noticed that he had deep cracks on his cheek; I figured he got those from Rosalie.

"Alice, Jasper-- take the Mercedes. You'll need the dark tint in the south."

They nodded as well.

"We'll take Edward's car."

I realized why Carlisle was going with Rosalie and Emmett. They were the hunting party. I sent a worried look to Rosalie.

"Alice," Carlisle asked, "will they take the bait?"

"James will track you," she said. "Victoria will follow the truck. We'll be able to leave after that." Her voice was certain.

"Let's go." Carlisle began to walk toward the kitchen.

But Rosalie was at my side at once. She caught me up in a soft grip, no caring if her family was watching, and softly kissed my lips. For the shortest second, her lips were soft against mine. Then it was over. She moved to press her lips on my forehead, whispering a soft, 'I love you' before following Carlisle.

And they were gone.

The silent moment dragged on, and then Esme's phone vibrated in her hand. It flashed to her ear.

"Come on," she said. Edward stalked out the front door without another glance in my direction, but Esme touched my cheek as she passed.

"Be safe." Her whisper lingered behind them as they slipped out the door. I heard the Jeep start thunderously, and then fade away.

Jasper and Alice waited. Alice's phone seemed to be at her ear before it buzzed.

"She on their trail. I'll get the car." She vanished into the shadows.

Jasper and I looked at each other. He stood across the length of the entryway from me...being careful.

"You're wrong you know," he said quietly.

"I'm sorry?" I gasped.

"I know what you're feeling now-- and you are worth it."

"If anything happens to them, I won't forgive myself," I mumbled.

"Everything will be okay." He smiled kindly at me.

I heard nothing, but then Alice stepped through the front door and came towards me.

"You ready?" she asked.

I nodded softly, "I guess I am."

___________________

Anyways, It Chapter 2 said gay rights

(We're just going to ignore the first two minutes of the movie though)

And if you are going to see the movie, there will be flashing lights. Repeatedly. And violent homophobia.

But anyways, enjoy the movie and stay safe!

Bye!