Two: I'd Be With You

Hannah

        Louis and I slept in the following morning. We'd stayed up all night talking. We were so excited. I'd never seen him so happy. Maybe except for our wedding night.

        When I woke, he wasn't by my side anymore. I sat up slowly, dragging the covers over my shoulders and pulling them with me out of the room. I saw Louis sitting at the kitchen counter talking on the phone. When he turned to see me, he smiled sweetly, coming over to kiss me on the cheek as he continued his call. He always had calls to attend to, so I didn't question it.

        I went over to the bathroom and did my things. I brushed my teeth thoroughly and brushed my hair. When I was done, I took the blanket back to the bedroom and joined Louis again. His demeanor had changed in the time that I had gone. He seemed almost angry.

        When he noticed that I was back he flashed a weak smile in my direction and continued to talk over the phone. I decided to be a little intrusive as I looked for something I could cook for the both of us.

        "We got off tour four months ago! You said-" he was interrupted by whoever was on the other line. "I can't," he finished firmly.

        There was more conversation by the other part, but I couldn't hear what was being said. Louis was not at all happy with it, though.

        I found some pancake mix and decided that that is what I was going to make. I began to mix all the ingredients and tuned out his conversation, feeling guilty that I was being nosy. His career had nothing to do with me.

        As I began to cook the first pancake, I heard Louis hang up the phone. I flipped the pancake in the pan and when it was done, placed it on a plate before him so that he could start while I made the rest.

        I noticed his head was in his hands and he was gripping his hair tightly. He only ever did that when he was boiling mad.

        "What's wrong, babe?" I asked, taking the pan away from the heated stove top so that I could place all my attention to one thing at a time.

        He slowly raised his head. His eyes looked angry and scared all at once. Was he going to cry?

        He stood up and came around to me, wrapping his arms around me tightly. I returned the gesture, unsure of what to do. Something bad was going on. He was going to leave.

        My stomach dropped just thinking of it. We had finally gotten what we wanted and now he was going to leave. I didn't even need him to tell me it was true.

        "I love you so much," he said, his lips on the side of my neck.

        "Tell me," I demanded, feeling a little more sad every second that passed. I wanted to hear him say it.

        He squeezed me tighter. "They lied. They told me I had at least a year off from touring and that we were just going to work on the next album but... we're going back on tour," he explained, his voice sad.

        "For how long?" I asked, my grip around him weakening.

        "A year. Eleven months, really. But it's just the same. I won't be here. And what I want most in this world is to be here, Hannah."

        I nodded. I knew he was telling the truth. He'd suffered so much when I had that accident and we lost the first baby. We both did. But he was the one who was desperate to concieve another. He wanted a family so bad.