VII: Out Of Our Control

Each door held some twisted being. At least half of them had the small windows, and curiosity overwhelmed caution, leaving Xander helpless but to peer inside of each room he could.
After the previous experience, he wasn't too shocked to find a ghastly, deformed creature behind the glass. One in every room, not a single one was empty, as far as he could tell.

They didn't take any notice of Xander as his eyes silently observed their sickening forms. Instead, they either paced around their tiny cells, rocked back and forth or, most unnervingly, remained completely frozen in place.

Each had grotesquely unique features. Arms and legs in all the wrong places, death-like skin tones and impossible to place expressions.

One that made Xander especially uncomfortable was a large, skeletal being. So tall, its head touched the ceiling. Its extended, spindly arms almost reached the ground too, as it stood silently like the branches of a dying willow.
It had no eyes or nose, only a mouth. A large mouth with oddly disproportionate teeth. About half the size of a normal humans, all tight in their rows, brown and rotten, not unlike its flesh.

He didn't dare stare for too long, should any of them catch him. The doors were thick metal, similar to the ones in Unit Alpha, but Xander still wasn't prepared to risk one of them charging at him, could he help it.

Slowly, step by step, he made his way toward the final door. The one that had piqued his curiosity in the first place. It was different. Painted wood rather than metal and with no window. After taking a deep breath, he pushed down on the handle, dying to know what lay beyond.
But it didn't open.

He tried again, wondering if he hadn't applied enough force, yet to no avail.
Then, a sudden realisation sent a chill crawling down Xander's spine.

It wasn't completely still, or even juddering as though it were locked. There was slight movement, a little give.

Almost as if someone were holding it closed from the other side...

He stepped back, deciding that whatever that room was, it wasn't worth it.

So, he turned around and began making his way up the corridor once again.
When suddenly...

...CREEEEAAAAAK...

With wide eyes and unsteady breaths, Xander glanced behind himself.
Just as he had thought, the door was now fully open.

He could see the entire room, it wasn't big.
And there was nobody inside.

His mind told him to keep moving forward, get as far away from the creepy door as possible. But once he saw the paper and framed photograph on the table, he was once again lured back toward it.

This room felt completely different from the rest of the building. The walls, ceiling and floor were all rough, grey concrete. No windows or decorations whatsoever. Only an oak table against the back wall, littered with little objects as if it were taken right out of a busy office.

There were papers and pens strewn across it, files and folders in a messy pile on the left, dangerously close to a lit candle, flickering, though there was no wind.

Illegible handwriting covered each sheet of paper, in a language that Xander didn't understand.
He didn't know much about other languages, but guessed it must have been Korean, or at least something similar.

Unable to read any of it, he turned his attention to the picture frame, holding up and using the faint light of the candle to get a better look.

It was a girl.
Very young, no older than eight, Xander assumed. She was grinning wide with her eyes closed, clutching a small book against her chest. Behind her appeared to be two scientists, both wearing surgical masks and with shadows cast across their faces. Each with a hand one either of the girl's shoulders.