14 | The Casanovas

Michael pulled up outside the Hanz family home and honked the horn a few times. Even with the windows rolled up and car heater on, Michael could hear the commotion coming from inside. If there was one thing guaranteed every time he visited, it was the liveliness of the Hanz family.

The front door opened, and Michael spotted Jessica waving energetically from the doorway. Only half-dressed, she still wore a dressing gown on her top half while her bottom half was fully kitted for school. He waved briefly before Sam squeezed past her and then shoved her back indoors, barking for her to get dressed properly.

The hulking blond squeezed into the car with a great huff.

Michael asked his customary question. "Everything okay?"

Sam nodded as he turned the car heater on full blast, but there was always something. There was never a dull moment. He rubbed his hands together. "Our heating stopped working yesterday. Something wrong with the radiators" he muttered.

Michael pursed his lips together. "Shall I-"

"Calm it, I've got it covered, you can put your noble steed away" Sam tossed a quick grin his way. "They probably need bleeding," he paused before his smile widened. "You can babysit while I do it."

Michael smiled briefly. "Great. Can't wait for that."

Michael had allowed Jess and Tammy to give him a makeover once to keep them happy and now it had become expected of him to play salons with them. There was nothing more emasculating than being told how pretty you looked in blue eyeshadow while a five-year-old clipped costume earring's to your earlobes. The girls didn't need babysitting, Sam just wanted someone else to be their victim so he could have five minutes peace.

One of the passenger doors opened, and Hadie clambered into the backseat. "Give us a lift, it's freezing!"

She leant through the middle and reached for the heating nozzle.

"I've already put it on full" Sam snapped, "and nobody said you're getting a lift, get out. You'll make us late!"

"Er, it's actually up to Michael" Hadie retorted.

Michael propped his elbow against his car door window and rested the side of his head on his palm, knitting his fingers into his hair. Why were they involving him?

The other passenger door opened, and in climbed Tammy and Jess.

"Oh, yes, so warm. Turn the heating up-"

"It's already on full, would you hurry up or get out! You're making us late."

"Since when did you care about being late!"

"Jess, you can't wear your dressing gown, where's your coat?"

"I've got her coat, don't worry."

"Stop touching shit and sit back, I've already told you the heating's on full."

"Stop moaning!"

"You can't say shit in front of Jess."

"You just said it too!"

"Hey, Mikey!"

Tammy and Hadie paused to also, briefly, bid Michael good morning before the bickering started up again.

"Seat belts" Michael sighed out before taking the hand break off. There was a moment of silence as seatbelts clicked into place, then it was nothing but noise.

Peace didn't return to the car until they arrived at school. After dropping the girls off, Sam continued to moan about them, and Michael gave the odd murmur of an agreement to show he was listening, not that his silence would have stopped Sam. After he was finished complaining, Sam switched to talking about training and school. Michael noticed, now that Sam was comfortable, he was extremely talkative. Sam was the first person Michael had met who could have a conversation with himself. Sometimes he assumed what Michael would say and proceeded to answer him without Michael having to say a word. He didn't mind, he preferred to listen.