10 | The Casanovas

A wave of nostalgia washed over Amelia, taking her by surprise. Sam's home held many memories, mostly good and she was in no way prepared for the assault of the long-gone feelings they aroused. The bungalow remained just as she remembered if only her's and Sam's friendship had stayed in similar shape.

 They went inside and put the television on. Amelia sat on the sofa with little to add to the snippets of conversation Sam shot into the atmosphere for anyone to respond to. She couldn't relax, the bungalow made her feel heady, from the smell of the Hanz family right down to the shelving unit of DVDs against the wall to which she could recall every film watched right here on this sofa. 

The ramifications for her skipping school danced through her thoughts alongside her families potential reaction and the unnatural nervousness she felt being in Sam's space. It didn't feel right, Michael's presence changed what had once felt completely neutral to her. 

It wasn't long before a chorus of noise fast approached the front door. Amelia turned just in time to see Hadie snap at Jess to wait as the youngest Hanz pushed past to get into the house first.

Her ears grew hot at the sight of the girls and an unanticipated fear shot through her. They looked so grown up and were a reminder of how much time has passed since she'd graced the Hanz home. What if they hated her now? They had every right to dislike her, especially with all the trouble she and Charlie had caused their big brother over the years.

Amelia quickly stood and clasped her hands together, waiting for them to notice. Tammy was the first to acknowledge her.

"Melia!" She exclaimed, her face lighting up. She dropped her bag and raced over for an embrace.

Amelia opened her arms gladly, relieved to receive a warm welcome. Tammy buried her face is her shoulder, though she was almost as tall as her now.

"It's so great to see you!"

Hadie stood with a hand placed on a cocked hip. She didn't question why they were home before them.

"It's been a while," she remarked.

Upon realising there was a strange girl present, Jess tucked her excitement back in its bottle and nestled the back of her body into Hadie's legs, watching Amelia with distrustful eyes.

Amelia smiled half-heartedly at Hadie, she didn't dare excuse her absence. Hadie would remember how the Johnson and Hanz family parted ways, Tammy not so much and Jess, not at all. She released Tammy from her hold, though she stayed glued to her side, and bent at the waist to greet Jess.

"Look at you, haven't you grown" she cooed.

Jess's expression didn't crack. Not until Sam thankfully made an appearance. She ran over to him and leapt into his arms. He picked her up and propped her on his hip.

"What's up stinker?" He exclaimed while bouncing her about on his hip. "Look, it's Amelia, you remember Amelia don't you?"

Jess looked at Amelia again and then turned her head away dismissively. She clocked Michael instead and grinned at him.

Amelia sucked on her bottom lip feeling wronged. How come Michael got a smile?

"Why would she remember- Jess was a baby the last time she was here," Hadie intervened while she picked up all the schoolbags and hung them by the door.

Sam and Tammy shot her warning looks.

"So what are you doing here?" Tammy asked, gazing up at Amelia with adoration.

Amelia shrugged her shoulders and gave her another squeeze. "Thought I'd come to hang out with you guys, I missed you."

A puff of air came from Hadie's nose.