Chapter 1

The sun peeked through my window waking me up. I sat up still groggy and half asleep. I took my phone off my charger to see that my boyfriend, Matt, had texted me just like he did every morning. He was such a morning person. I, on the other hand, didn't mind to sleep past noon. I opened the text:
From: Matt❤️
Good morning love, I'm making us breakfast, so hurry up and get over here!
I smiled and put down my phone as I stood up and walked to my closet. I rubbed my eyes as I grabbed a pair of ripped jeans. I slipped those on then proceeded to toss on a Beatles t-shirt that I'm pretty sure I had stolen from my sister.
I tossed my hair into a bun and wiped the slept in makeup from under my eyes. I walked into the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I looked up at myself in the mirror... I had really let myself go. Matt and I had been together for 4 years, and I gave up trying to look cute for him. I used to care about how I looked to other people, but for the past year, I just haven't cared. I sighed deeply before waking out and going down stairs.
My sister, Ellie, was sitting on the couch watching tv as I walked by. "Is that my shirt?" She asked as she peered up at me. I looked around the room avoiding eye contact. "I don't know.. it was in my closet" she rolled her eyes and went back to watching tv.  "I'll wash it and give it back when I get home" I said before walking past.
Ellie and I were 2 years apart. We love each other, but we're total opposites. She was the outgoing, sporty, popular one while I normally stayed to myself. I typically was with Matt or in my room painting. That's how I liked it. I bet understood the hype about being popular and going to parties every weekend.
I put my hand on the handle to open it as I heard my mom clear her throat from behind me.
"Where do you think you're going, Miss. Serenity?" She asked crossing her arms.
I turned back to her,"Matt made breakfast. I was going to text you later. I thought you were still in bed."
"I don't mind you going, just tell me beforehand, okay? Be back by 3, I want to go shopping, God knows you need jeans." She laughed as she looked at my poor jeans. I wore the same 4 pairs of jeans religiously. Finding jeans that fit was always a struggle, so when I found ones I liked, I wore them until they were ripped beyond repair. I smiled and kissed her on the cheek before heading out the door.
Mom was different after her and my dad divorced. She caught him cheating with a lady that worked as a receptionist at the local doctors office. They had to have been doing to for quite a while. After mom caught them, he just packed up and left. He didn't seem to regret a thing. He called to check up on us from time to time in the beginning. Then, the calls stopped. He had a whole new life, new kids, a new wife, job, house. It's like he just... forgot about Ellie and I. Mom hasn't had another boyfriend since. She works and comes home. The extra time has made her more overbearing at times. She worries more than what she used to. I get it, she's still hurting.